• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil What soil.

Yeah miracle gro organic vegetable and herb mix is now the only BFA (biological farmers Australia ) or NAASA accredited potting mix I can now find locally .. Pretty sad state of affairs when I only have one choice ....
Also as much as I would love to make my own soil and compost ... Its a bit difficult on a balcony so I am stuck with bagged products unfortunately

Proud Marine Dad said:
I cringe when Miracle-Gro is mentioned. Yes it will work but you end up with a plant dependent on it like a drug addict to their drug. To each his own though. If you don't really care about growing naturally or don't want to spend any time learning about the incredible life going on in healthy soil then use Miracle-Gro and other chemically treated soils. Sorry for the rant but its a pet peeve of mine. :)

I don't like the chemical fertilizers in traditional Miracle Grow either, and I would not use it these days. I prefer the soil I use to be alive also. I like that Fox Farm does not sterilize their soil. And any other nutrients my plants need will be provided by my compost pile when it gets tilled in the spring. 

But if someone is primarily interested in consistent results, doesn't have the time, doesn't have a compost pile, likes the convenience, is just starting out, doesn't mind using chemical ferts, etc. I can see where Miracle Grow is has a place in the world, because it is very accessible and relatively inexpensive. 

The whole thing can get awfully political. 

for what its worth I've found MG organic to have the worst drainage of anything I've used straight and got one habanero off a pot i used it in last season. Plant stayed about 5 inches tall and looked horrible.

Carry on...

PrimeTime said:
for what its worth I've found MG organic to have the worst drainage of anything I've used straight and got one habanero off a pot i used it in last season. Plant stayed about 5 inches tall and looked horrible.

Carry on...
No soil drains well enough by itself. I mix 1/3 soil, 1/3 red lava rock or perlite and 1/3 peat moss.

Back