• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds What stage do move my seedlings to under lights?

Using the debco, had the 7pot germinate after like 3 days... haven't seen anything else.

Going to try another batch of seeds tonight, see how they go. What other medium do you recommend.

Damn, i put my 7 Pot under my fluro light all night as per AJ, and it dried out, wilted and died!

These jiffy peat pellets dry out so quickly!,

Using the debco, had the 7pot germinate after like 3 days... haven't seen anything else.

Going to try another batch of seeds tonight, see how they go. What other medium do you recommend.

I'm a little confused as to whether you're using peat pellets or this stuff:
Debco_Seed_Raising_lg.jpg

I've never used peat pellets and to be perfectly honest I'm really not the one to give advice on starting soil. If I plant 100 seeds and get 50 plants I'm happy enough with that. I did use the stuff pictured above (planted July 3) and had first sprout after 6 days and by the 2 week mark I had 35 seedlings from 72 seeds. I've had 40 sprout up until now (2 Bhuts committed suicide though) and planted another 36 last night. I used the Yates starting soil last year and got similar results. You could read the sticky thread at top of growing forum for advice on mixing your own soil but if you just want a commercial brand then try starting a thread asking other Aussies what they would recommend. Sorry I can't help much. On a side note, when I pot up I use the stuff below and have done for a few years for all vegetables etc, and it seems to work nicely if commercial brand is what you're after:
30LOrganicMixLowRes.jpg

did you notice the potting soil (second pic) was more course texture than the seed starting mix?....it should have been...

the reason you want a light weight mixture to start your seeds in is the light fine texture of the seed starting mix allows for faster/better/stronger root growth than the potting mix does...JMHO

Hey I meant jiffy pellets, sorry.

How do you germinate so many at once? I was thinking about the plastic trays with like 50 spots, but the problem is that if one germinates early, how do u move the individual seedling under the light?

(my light is not with my heat mat)

what i do with seedling trays is i push the bottom up and take the whole clump of soil and transplant it to a larger cup with more soil in it. so i don't disturb the roots. works for me so far.

I use 72 cell seed starting trays...in my case, I use my lights as heat in my germinator ( I start eight 72 cell trays at a time) so I don't have to worry about the seedlings getting light or heat when they sprout...after 2-3 weeks, they move to another highly lit growing area...and I don't transplant the seedlings until I see roots coming out of the bottom of the seed starting trays...

remember this...a good strong root ball is essential for good/great plant growth...

How do you germinate so many at once? I was thinking about the plastic trays with like 50 spots, but the problem is that if one germinates early, how do u move the individual seedling under the light?

I cut my 72 cell trays into 8 3x3 squares which makes it easier to remove quicker or slower growing varieties

did you notice the potting soil (second pic) was more course texture than the seed starting mix?....it should have been...

the reason you want a light weight mixture to start your seeds in is the light fine texture of the seed starting mix allows for faster/better/stronger root growth than the potting mix does...JMHO

Organic Mix
Debco Organic Mix is a 100% NASAA certified organic potting mix. It is made from high quality composted pine bark which is boosted with certified organic fertiliser to provide the perfect balance of airspace, nutrients and water-holding capacity to maintain a quality growing environment over a long period of time.
30L

Debco Seed Raising Mixture

Has been professionally formulated to provide a light, loosely textured medium ideally suited for effective seed germination and strong seedling establishment. It contains a balanced mixture of ingredients designed and tested to give the ideal ratio of moisture retention, soil aeration and drainage. When packed it was moist and thoroughly mixed ready for use. Should it become dry and the ingredients separated, moisten gently and mix by hand.

I use 24 cell plastic trays in miniature greenhouses and as soon as I see one has sprouted I just cut out the cell with a pair of scissors and move it under the lights:
21710011.jpg
21710014.jpg

Check out AJ's grow stations in his grow logs to see how a pro does it...

Might have to do that for my next batch, can fit alot more in at once!

How often do you water them in a mini greenhouse? Is once a day to much? Also, should i soak them through or just give em a light misting?

Make sure they're nice and damp when you sow the seeds, most of the water stays in because of the lid but if the soil looks like it's going to dry out just give them a light spray to keep them moist.

Don't stress mate some take longer than others. I'm having Serranos pop up after 4 days and Jonahs after 20. Not having much luck with the Bihs and Naga Morich though. Are you using a heatmat? 8/8 Yellow7s popped up within 2 weeks, did I send you some of those? Can't remember exactly what I sent.

mmm been almost 4 weeks now but not having any luck still.. had bih jolokias pop up in under 2 weeks... but nothing else. Weird.

Back