• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What story is this leaf telling?

This was one of the worst leaves on the Manzano/Rocoto plant I have in hydroponics food and drain system.

This leaf were on the bottom part of the plant, receiving very little light.

Outer edges getting yellow/browning is normally sigh of over fertilizing? Don't see that as a valid reason, used lucas formula and it's been good for other people's plant growth.

Some people say lucas formula gave them cal/mag deficiency while others say the opposite. Does mine look anything like that?

I know one things for sure, I have been over-watering for quite a while, only this week the watering schedule has been spot on. Just when they start to wilt a tiny bit they get watered. 42 hours between each time since rockwool holds a lot of water.

Pictures of leaf and underside:
img2110j.jpg

img2108h.jpg

to my untrained eye it looks like bacterial/ fungal type leaf spot

you may try to treat for it with some spray

http://www.bonide.com/lbonide/images/png/6885d.png
http://www.bonide.com/lbonide/images/png/218d.png

either of these may help out

it may be just need to lower humidity and or increase air circulation

Be surprised at how little water they need yet how long they take to recover from to much. I'm going through and excessive watering situation and not sure how to dry them out. Fan seems to do little to nothing at that point.

Thanks guys, so they probably need quite a while longer to recover from over watering. It had gotten to the stage were I saw tiny signs of edema under the leaves but that was the only signs they showed at that time.

Some of it could also be bacterial/ fungal, like mentioned above. It seems like some of the plants got both, random spots drying out and becoming a thin tissue. On new and old growth. Don't think I can acquire the products above but they might have something similar here.

Obvious that the affected plants are not happy, they have dropped at least 100 flowers :(

one other thing on the pubes,

again with my limited experience,

it may help pod set to give 'em a little extra Nitrogen

i know balanced fertilizer is the common reccomended for (other) chilis,

it just seems i have seen good fruit set from a shot of N for c. pubescens

not sure of your grow medium but have used

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203106474/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=vigoro+tomato&storeId=10051

this stuff is ±12-10-5 and i used it at four times directed strength.

as it is time release stuff (polymerized?) by it's directions use at three month cycle. { i use the nitwit method and pump it up and see what happens }

it seems the flowers started to set more and dropped less after mixing into top two inches and water in

when the growth seemed to slow like three weeks later i poured it on again

are you going to keep these inside for full season?

:rolleyes:

Honestly if that's one of the worst leaves and you pulled it off of the bottom you don't have a whole lot to worry about. If you have a lot of leaves like that you might benefit from backing off on the water but my two cents is that it's just sad from lack of light and maybe a little water/soil splash. If it shed it on its own it probably wasn't getting the light that it needs, it doesn't really mean much either. That leaf is nice and green despite the slight wrinkling and beginnings of discoloration. Is it possible you splashed it with a bit of water?

This was one of the few leaves at the bottom that have dropped during a couple of weeks. Plant would get rid of them itself, no cutting involved. Those bacterial leave spots I have everywhere, they don't get brown in any way. The leaf spot stays green and dries out, becomes like a thin tissue, like the veins dry out.

I discussed this in a thread before, somebody said it might be water on the leaf working as a magnifying glass glass burning holes. But I never get water on the leaves in my flood and drain system. Not very humid at all, average around 30%.

It's happening on different pepper plants in the same grow tank.

Quite young leaf with a fresh spot, haven't dried out yet.
img2114fl.jpg

Older leaf with the spot dried out.
img2112jx.jpg

New growth on some other plant in the same nutrients are showing this: (Cal/Mag deficiency? For sure it has a bit of edema from my overwatering weeks ago, still haven't got rid of it, only watering when wilting now and not much)
img2118vc.jpg

img2117md.jpg

Just a couple of pics of flowers. The petals will actually fall off and the pepper start to produce then day later the plant will drop the pepper off.
img2116l.jpg

img2115s.jpg

that doesnt look as bad as you make it out to be. i have a few of those chinense's looking similar. and i think that most of it has been caused from leaves overlapping and staying wet. if you're plants are packed in tight like mine. leaves that are touching build up the moisture they sweat in between and dont receive any air.

i may be wrong, but i wouldnt stress too hard, those types grow up so wrinkly and compact i see lots of spots where they have toched itself or others receiving no light or air... just keep checking upper leaves for progressing problems.

that doesnt look as bad as you make it out to be. i have a few of those chinense's looking similar. and i think that most of it has been caused from leaves overlapping and staying wet. if you're plants are packed in tight like mine. leaves that are touching build up the moisture they sweat in between and dont receive any air.

i may be wrong, but i wouldnt stress too hard, those types grow up so wrinkly and compact i see lots of spots where they have toched itself or others receiving no light or air... just keep checking upper leaves for progressing problems.

Some of the leaves could be affected by what you said but one type of spots appear even on new growth that has a lot of room and air. Think I'm trying too hard to get perfect looking plants, have to calm down a bit!

The brown spots you're seeing look like leaf burn from water or fertilizer being splashed on them. It makes a lens that causes the light to burn the leaf. I've been lazy with watering and my plants have been so tightly packed together so the same thing has been happening to me. Other than that there's very slight nutrient problems that will fix themselves, I wouldn't change anything you're doing. Just give them a little room to breathe and they'll be fine :P

+1 to giving them some room to breathe. I had the exact same problem and once I moved them apart the spots disappeared. Maybe get a fan in there for better air circulation as well.

to my untrained eye it looks like bacterial/ fungal type leaf spot

you may try to treat for it with some spray

http://www.bonide.co...s/png/6885d.png
http://www.bonide.co...es/png/218d.png

either of these may help out

it may be just need to lower humidity and or increase air circulation

If you do decide to use the Bonide, if you can buy the concentrate, mix it and use your own sprayer.

I could only find the spray bottle, and the sprayer is terrible. It's like a water gun, it shoots a very direct burst...it shoots too much, too hard, in too small an area. I ended up using about 1/3 of the bottle since most of it was just shooting right past what I was trying to hit.

Back