spirits what tequila should i buy?

Espolon Añejo is my favorite without a doubt. I used to drink it in Mexico and New Mexico all the time. I've tried ordering it through the ABC Liqour stores here in VA, and they can only get the silver and reposado. The Espolon añejo tastes infinitely better than the Espolon silver and reposado, so I would never waste my money on anything but their añejo.

Update, I was finally able to obtain some of that sweet nectar.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-14-00-12-48.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-14-00-12-48.png
    792.1 KB · Views: 122
I was looking for a certain Tequila thread to post my latest purchase in but couldn't find it so let's bring this gem back... 

20160526_091037.jpg

This tequila is Patron's version of a super premium silver tequila.  I read the history of it and it turns out they crush the agave leaves in a round pit by rolling a 4000lb rock around on them  Thus the name Roca.  I love old school stuff like that.  Its a good silver, definitely not the best I have had, but good nonetheless.

grover said:
Cazadores, which was once among the best tequilas in the world, has done downhill significantly in the past 5 years after being purchased by a huge company bent on cost cutting in every place possible. They changed the process entirely, and the Cazadores you can buy today has no resemblance to the stuff that gave it such a great name. Such a shame. Stick with Siete Leguas.

If true, that's a real shame.

The best tequila experience you can have today is with Fortaleza. Super small batch from a very tiny and ancient distillery. Has developed a cult following among bartenders and aficionados.

fortaleza-anejo.jpg

It's the real deal.

grover said:
The best tequila experience you can have today is with Fortaleza. Super small batch from a very tiny and ancient distillery. Has developed a cult following among bartenders and aficionados.

attachicon.gif
fortaleza-anejo.jpg

It's the real deal.
Thats a good price in the $70-$80 range for a premium anejo. My favorites are 1942, Paridiso and Clase Azul. How does it compare with those ?

My all-time favorite though was Porfidio. It was over by the time I got into anejo's. 

I know it's kind of a dead post, but I LOVE Tequila! I know you said you really wanted to get something you can't get here, but I highly recommend Olmeca Altos if you're stateside: Affordable, yet it can run with the big dogs of the tequila world. Plus the bottles are beautiful.

Back