• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

what the eff, its gonna be cold this weekend

Get some buckets and tarps/plastic sheets ready... also... ive heard of people setting a sprinkler/mister on plants during potentially frosty nights.... as the water will be warmer than the air.

As odd as it sounds, sprinkler. Michigan strawberry farmers spray their fields at night when its supposed to get frost/freeze to keep them alive. If you have an area too big for tarps/sheets.

perhaps your best option would be to cover them with buckets or sheets of plastic/tarp sunday and monday (I know because I live relatively nearby ;-P ) *AND* put a sprinkler on them

This year I've decided to wait until June 1st to put any of my stuff in the ground, save the cold crop.

they will be fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're supposed to wait till after Mothers Day at this latatude.

+1. I was going to like this post, but after Mother's day is such a long time when you plant in Jan...It is hard to be that patient. It is the conventional wisdom in this part of the country though.

All my peppers that aren't in a hydro tank are in pots this year, so although they have been outside for 2+ weeks, they are coming in on Sunday for a night. Or at least all tucked in the corner of the deck and covered. The tomatoes that are in the ground are on their own though.

I just went through this last week. I covered what I could with buckets (about 60 plants) but the rest were left to fend for themselves. I can't tell any difference between the ones I tried to protect and the ones I didn't. Nothing died. Plants have been in the ground since April 20th (too early).

Back