• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What the hell is this now?

Now I got some funky white furry crap growing on some of my potting mix! :banghead:

IMG_1179.jpg

Conditions too humid and moist, I'm guessing? Damn it! I only planted some seedlings in this crap two days ago!

Anything I can do about it?

If you can put a fan on them. That will help. Or, if you have a ceiling fan in the room run that. The air circulation will help a lot.

Josh said:
If you can put a fan on them. That will help. Or, if you have a ceiling fan in the room run that. The air circulation will help a lot.

Funny you mention that... I have them inside right now 'cause it's bucketing down outside and I have the fan on 'cause it's bloody hot!

Been watering with the bi-carb solution and no change whatsoever.

I pulled one out today to have a look....

IMG_1246.jpg

The white crap grows right through the soil!

On some of my younger seedlings (where the roots have not or have barely left the Jiffy), I removed the soil from around the Jiffy and transplanted them in clean soil... I'm guessing that this is probably a waste of time though - assuming traces of the white crap would be left on the Jiffy.

Also, I think I went a little crazy on the Perlite... would have this helped promote the growth of the white crap? Maybe too much air in there?

Got any Potassium permanganate? It's used in aquariums, looks like a deep purple liquid... Put a couple drops in a cup of water, and water it... Should sterilize it and the plant wont be bothered by it and might even use the Potassium, Manganese and Oxygen.

RichardK said:
Got any Potassium permanganate?

Sure don't.... but it might be worth my while grabbing some. Would it effect anything good going on in the soil though? (what do they call them? micro organisms and all that sorta stuff?) Of course, once I kill the white stuff, I'll be transplanting the plants anyway.

It looks like the bacteria in your soil has just overpopulated itself. I have it on the soil of my plants all the time and it hasn't hurt anything. Let your growing medium dry out on top before you water it again and keep the plants where they can get plenty of air and the "mold" should get under control.

Alan

It will kill the good ones yes, but as you said, you are going to transplant eventually so it will pick them back up hopefully after you killed the bad stuff. I use a few drops in each of my jugs of water to ward off algae growing in the water.

Also a bit off topic but a while back I experimented on a plant that had a very bad Potassium deficiency by giving it only water with more than the usual amount of Potassium permanganate just to see if it was available to the plant and it aparently worked. I don't know if the deficiency was caused by too much of one nutrient (and the permaganate bound it up allowing intake of the already plentiful potassium) or if it broke down into something the roots could take in. Either way it did no harm to the plant and I have been using the stuff for three years with good results.

I'd probably try a soil drench with some H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) It should kill all the nasties but also any beneficials

POTAWIE said:
I'd probably try a soil drench with some H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) It should kill all the nasties but also any beneficials

I had a very similar problem on one of my plants. I used a mild hydrogen peroxide solution and let the soil dry up before I watered it again.

Do like Potawie said and try a solution of peroxide. Then, just make sure the soil dries out completely before re-watering. Let the plants wilt a little. They can take it.

Well, I ended up transplanting the lot anyway and breaking off all the "moldy" soil. A bit worried I may have damaged some of the bigger seedlings roots though... but we'll see what happens. My first time growing has been an almost complete disaster anyway, if I loose a couple more plants, no huge disappointment.

If the mold reappears in the new soil, then I'll give the Potassium Permanganate or Hydrogen Peroxide a shot, I'm thinking... but fingers-crossed! Thanks y'all for your suggestions!

Interesting..

I've had my share of problems, but ive never seen that white stuff before.
Hope your transplanted seedlings do well Gasificada.

Ta FTB... I'm hoping so as well!

As we are nearing the end of the season here, I doubt I will be seeing any pods from them if they do survive.... but hopefully I will be able to keep them alive over the winter and have a head-start for next season! I'm sooo looking forward to the fresh start of a new season!

Back