• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What time of the year to start growing?

Hello all,

I've been looking at the Hippy Seed co and I'm thinking of attempting to grow some Trinidad Scorpions and Yellow 7's. What is a good time of the year to start them off?

My wife is a dab hand at growing veg so I'm going to enlist her as my assistant!

Thanks all.

end of Feb beginning of March, they tend to be a bit pokey so start early i do
it works for the zone im in and do imagine it would even be better for you as you have a longer growing season than i do

i start all habs,bhuts and scorps around this time (to the chagrin of my wife) LOL :lol:

it works very well for me here and there also nice and large and can take the stress of being transplanted better, i did not lose one superhot due to transplant shock this year :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
plus i had pods about two weeks earlier than my friend who started his at the end of March
thanks hope this helps your friend Joe

Thanks a lot for the fast reply! I shall start my work in March. I'm thinking of building a DIY greenhouse too, which is something we have never used before.

end of Feb beginning of March, they tend to be a bit pokey so start early i do
it works for the zone im in and do imagine it would even be better for you as you have a longer growing season than i do

i start all habs,bhuts and scorps around this time (to the chagrin of my wife) LOL :lol:

it works very well for me here and there also nice and large and can take the stress of being transplanted better, i did not lose one superhot due to transplant shock this year :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
plus i had pods about two weeks earlier than my friend who started his at the end of March
thanks hope this helps your friend Joe

I start mine towards the end of February, seems to work out very well for me.

late Feb or early March seems pretty late to start super hot type seeds for Texas. I'd go a month earlier. Send a PM to Alabama Jack who lives in your neck of the woods, or maybe he'll spot this and check in. He seems to know a little bit about TX and peppers.... :cool:

Howdy neighbor...our weather here is so unpredictable that you just don't know...

I start my chinense seeds New Years day or the first of January...I like them to have a good start before planting out...our average last frost date is around the first week of April, so that will give you a good 3 month grow before plantout and the plants should take off...

Thanks for all the comments.

Ronnie do you have any links to resources to sites offering tips? It seems like your growing methods work out very well and as we're in the same climate I think I'm going to follow your example.

Thanks for all the comments.

Ronnie do you have any links to resources to sites offering tips? It seems like your growing methods work out very well and as we're in the same climate I think I'm going to follow your example.

The best tips you can get are here, and not just from locals...I have learned a bunch from several members of this forum...

I got a "the way I start peppers" post on FB in AlabamaJacks Exotic Superhots business page....

***note: I don't know if I was supposed to say that or not***

Welcome...

Where in the Dallas area are you? For the 2012 season I plan on starting my superhots in the early to mid parts of December that way I can get a solid start on the season and have some well established plants. This season I had a horribly late start, I won't be getting caught up in that again haha. I have plenty of Yellow 7 seeds and a few others if you'd like to me to send ya some.

-J

Thanks for the info regarding your facebook page.....I'm just about to check that out. I'll read and learn.

Hey Torno, thanks a lot for your offer. Can you send me a PM with what you have and prices? I was going to try with a couple of varieties but I could be tempted by more.

Cheers!

No charge on the seeds. A few members have helped me out this season by giving me plants, pods or seeds and I'll do the same for you. I'll PM you a list here shortly.

-J

Back