• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water What to do about overwatering?

sirex said:
I used to look like an idiot out there at midnight when I put a tarp on all my plants to prepare for two days of rain. Cover em. Some how some way and pray for sunny days. That's what I did.
Yeah, that's kinda what I do. I bought some pressure treated 2x2s and built a frame over my pepper garden and made the center higher than the edges. Then I cover it with visqueen when it rains. The water runs right off the frame to the outside of the garden. Works good for me. When you live in Florida the growing season is inundated with frequent rains.

Put some slow release tomato food spikes in the soil (4 spikes per plant) and tell mother nature to give you her best shot. I live next door to you in Louisiana, and we've been getting daily rain for the past few weeks, too. My plants are exploding with growth and pods.

I am in the same situation down here in Sugar Land. We had 11" of rain in one night last week. ONE. NIGHT. I thought for sure I would wake up to a bunch of dead plants, but my fears were unfounded. The wind had only knocked one plant over so I propped it up with a couple of sticks jammed in the soil. 

I have been top dressing all our container plants with a good quality low NPK+micronutes fertilizer about every 10 days. The way I figure it is the massive rain is flushing nutes so I should over-fert to compensate. So far, so good. I have also observed that the plants in fabric bags are doing better than the ones in plastic pots. I guess the extra drainage makes a bit of difference.

PS Floods suck, and the worst is still to come for a bunch of people near the banks of a number of rivers in SE Texas. If you are anywhere near the Brazos, Colorado, Trinity, or San Jacinto rivers...stay safe.

Back