• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce What to do with bad hot sauces?

Ok, since I've been amping up my hot sauce buying (since I've been doing reviews) I've run into a slight problem... bad hot sauces. I crack open a hot sauce or 30 and some of em are just not up to par(ie: Da Bomb, Frank's Red Hot). I feel bad about throwing them out, but also would feel bad giving away hot sauces to my friends that have already been opened and I know are not all that good.

I've only thrown out one hot sauce so far (Frank's Red Hot). Any suggestions? What do you do when you find a hot sauce that you do not like?

Ya, I got a few I don't like either. It would be nice to hear some negative reviews of products other than tobasco and Franks.

POTAWIE said:
Ya, I got a few I don't like either. It would be nice to hear some negative reviews of products other than tobasco and Franks.

Don't worry, those will be coming soon enough. I have one schedualed to be reviewed on this weekend.

I've found it is better for the developement of the sauce if I sit them down and explain to them why they are bad and how it makes me feel rather than outright punish a bad sauce.

marcosauces said:
Louisiana Sauce....:) :)
Da Bomb...but the review site is down right now, so it may be another week (unless it's up this weekend).

darthcarl said:
I've found it is better for the developement of the sauce if I sit them down and explain to them why they are bad and how it makes me feel rather than outright punish a bad sauce.

You sit the hot sauces down and talk to them? :rolleyes:

I'm just Joshin' you dude. I know what you mean and usually do that with my reviews, but so far I've only reviewed REALLY good hot sauces. Like I said, that's about to change because I've run across some not so good sauces.

Dave Reed (certifiable genus...er...I mean certified genus), my roommate, came up with a great idea. (which is a little like what Sickmont suggested)

He said take ALL the bad hot sauces and mix them together. Then, if it works, rebottle them and sell as a new product!

Sometimes you can use them in things to raise the heat level, where the flavor won't be noticed. Like a chili with a lot of ingredients. Unless the sauce is horrible!

darthcarl said:

Line 'em up load a couple rounds of 12 gauge and unload. Then sprinkle sunflower seeds all over the mess, and watch the cute, fuzzy little squirrels ingest a bunch of really bad hot sauce....Oh yeah, and powderized glass.

If you have any problems with deer browsing on your landscaping, you can mix it in with your deer repelant for an added kick.
I usually add some hot sauce to discourage the persistant ones for some of my customers

I shall pour all my bad sauces in a darkly colored whiskey bottle for my roommate who keeps stealing my booze.

Or I will take a bottle to home depot and force the teenager to match in the paint department to match the color EXACTLY

Refillable hot sauce ink pens!!

Take them to grocery stores that do not carry that brand, and drop them into peoples carts when they are not looking. Let the price check pandemonium ensue.

feed the homeless

eat the homeless

stuff dry ice into the bottle, recap, and toss into a garbage can

pour into a 2 liter bottle of Diet Pepsi and walk around the mall with Dixie cups asking people if they would like to try new "Pepsi Sting"

Empty the bottle and refill with your own favorite then mail it back to the manufacturer with a note complaining "it's just too good"

I normally try to use the sauces that I dislike in some form. MANY great ideas listed above. :lol:
Another thought would be to send it to someone here on the Hot Pepper who like's it, or would want to give it a try. Make sure the lid is clean and on tight, and send it on down the line. An open bottle of sauce will last awhile even after opening.

Cap'n
piratesmiley.gif

Back