What to do?

So I've been toying with the idea of starting to sell sauces at a couple of local farmers markets and festivals what go on in our neighborhood. Last weekend I went to one I hadn't been to before and there was a fellow selling sauce there. He was talking to a young lady, 20 something, and he offers her a sample of a Bhut sauce which was way too hot for her. So what does he do? He grabs the camera while laughing his rump off and snags some pics of her. Totally unprofessional. I went to a consession stand and got her some milk and explained to her how to survive the burn. It brings to mind though how do most vendors handle this situation. So, those of you that sell this way, what do you do when someone tries something that's too hot for them? Nothing, keep a gallon of milk or some Orange Dream Sickles on hand? Thanks.

Cheers,
RM

I enjoy getting my oldest sons friends to try my sauce every once in awhile I slip some bombs in our Quesdillas just a drop her and there but my kids are used to spicy stuff. I always warn people by using the Buffalo Wings scale, if you like hot wings you will live through this. That vendor just sounds plain mean, plenty like him all over they video fights and wrecks never trying to help.......

I enjoy getting my oldest sons friends to try my sauce every once in awhile I slip some bombs in our Quesdillas just a drop her and there but my kids are used to spicy stuff. I always warn people by using the Buffalo Wings scale, if you like hot wings you will live through this. That vendor just sounds plain mean, plenty like him all over they video fights and wrecks never trying to help.......

I think John from Defcon handles this perfectly. Tell them ahead of time this is HOT :mouthonfire: then if they still say they want it, smirk, and or, laugh at them when they begin to cry. You are right, videotaping someone and laughing at them when they really don't know what they are in for is unprofessional.

I think John from Defcon handles this perfectly. Tell them ahead of time this is HOT :mouthonfire: then if they still say they want it, smirk, and or, laugh at them when they begin to cry. You are right, videotaping someone and laughing at them when they really don't know what they are in for is unprofessional.

Yes, if after a warning or I've even seen where they require a signature on a release before being allowed to taste a super hot sauce but I think I'd have something on hand to releave their pain after they've had a bit to relish in the pain.

i feel bad for the girl. too bad her father/brother/boyfriend didnt bust his head open. i hope he tries that comedy skit in my neighborhood. they would find him belly up in da east river.

in my case, when I have trinidad scorpions with me for "show and tell", I always tell the people how hot they are, but if you want one, be aware, this thing will hurt you...then, if they still want it, I tell them, "Remember, I warned you"....

some people think they can handle most anything hot, but then again, most people have not tried the "fire" we deal with on a daily basis...

if the vendor gave this person "fire" without a proper warning, if it had been me I would have kicked his ass (verbally, that is...I don't heal as quickly as I once did)

Very un-professional!

I'm all up for sucking my brother-in-law into trying a new sauce, because, if, after 20 years he hasn't figured out that when I say "hot" I mean "HOT"...he deserves it! :lol:

But for the general public, no way would I sucker someone into trying something they weren't prepared for.

When sampling at farmers markets or in stores, I keep a jar of sugar on hand. The container says "Antidote for Wimps". If someone were doing markets on a regular basis, having sugar packets on hand would be a good idea.

I'm glad to see that people on the THP have a handle on what's right! You did the right thing RM!... above and beyond! Hopefully that guy isn't in the THP, if you are we'll find you...

Back