• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What to try after Choc. Habs are edible?

I have been working my way up the scale of peppers for the past year and have progressed to where I can comfortably eat orange habs as a snack without suffering from hiccups or intense tounge burn. 

I heard that Choc. Habs are hotter so I decided to grow them this year.  My question is:  After Choc. Habs are no longer a threat, what is the next step?   Savina Red? Bhut?  7Pot?   Should I just go belly up and grow the reaper; Praying it doesn't take me away?

I have had a yellow 7pot before, and it really blew me away at first with how strong the mouth heat was. However, that was before I started eating habs a couple times a day for a few months.  

Help THP,  I am falling down the rabbit hole of capsaicin!!!   Who knows where this goes?! 

You can try anything you want, as long you don't eat a whole one. There is a pretty big jump from habaneros to nagas...

I didn't necessarily find the chocolate hab to be (much) hotter than a regular hab, just different tasting.

I recommend nagas/bhut jolokias as they are a bit different than habs/7 pods, but as I said, don't eat a whole one at one time.

Whish you all the best!

ebh said:
You can try anything you want, as long you don't eat a whole one. There is a pretty big jump from habaneros to nagas...

I didn't necessarily find the chocolate hab to be (much) hotter than a regular hab, just different tasting.

I recommend nagas/bhut jolokias as they are a bit different than habs/7 pods, but as I said, don't eat a whole one at one time.

Whish you all the best!

Thanks,  I have had a half of a Bhut grown by my brother last year.  Was tolerable, but the throat burn was what got me.   I guess I'll have to just dive mouth first into a new level of heat.

Reactions: ebh
I'd just go to the reaper, I'm still waiting for mine to ripen up. I just had a yellow brainstrain the other day that just ripened,and boy was that thing hot! When I first started eatting hot chillies I started with Habs then went to bhuts from there.

juanitos said:
try some yellow 7's, peach bhuts, fatalii, naga.

but yeah once you get to 1 mil shu, reaper isn't really that much more. just try it. I went from jalapeno to reaper and it was pretty scary/great but not scary/i'mgoingtodie/takemetohospital.
This makes me feel better. I appreciate the response. I pretty much gave up on hot sauces you can buy outside of specialty stores. I couldn't find one that made me sweat more than eating three habs in a row.

ebh said:
You can try anything you want, as long you don't eat a whole one. 

+1

I would say try to find a pepper that you like. If a whole pod is too much, just eat a piece at a time. That being said, I would suggest trying the CARDI scorpion as a next step after habs. It has a pleasant, fruity taste and aroma, and is in between habs and bhuts in heat, and tastes great on pizza  :cool: It's a personal favorite of mine, just because of the flavor (think hot pineapples).

Vicious Vex said:

Help THP,  I am falling down the rabbit hole of capsaicin!!!   Who knows where this goes?! 

Welcome to the addiction. You will find plenty of enablers here  :lol:

Yellow fataliis, at least the ones I have grown, absolutely slay me compared to all the habanero varieties I grow. To my palate, they are every bit as painful as a lot of bhuts/nagas. Might be worth checking out. As has already been said, you can always just go straight to the supers and just eat small pieces until your tolerance builds up. Maybe take a nice little sliver and put it on a cracker with some cheese. To this day, I don't eat whole supers. I don't think many of us actually eat them straight up except during beer fueled displays of manliness and/or YouTube videos. I just use them to season and enhance other foods. Are there any particular flavors you're looking for in a pepper? Sweet, fruity, earthy, acrid, etc?

TrueNorthReptiles said:
Yellow fataliis, at least the ones I have grown, absolutely slay me compared to all the habanero varieties I grow. To my palate, they are every bit as painful as a lot of bhuts/nagas. Might be worth checking out. As has already been said, you can always just go straight to the supers and just eat small pieces until your tolerance builds up. Maybe take a nice little sliver and put it on a cracker with some cheese. To this day, I don't eat whole supers. I don't think many of us actually eat them straight up except during beer fueled displays of manliness and/or YouTube videos. I just use them to season and enhance other foods. Are there any particular flavors you're looking for in a pepper? Sweet, fruity, earthy, acrid, etc?
I'm looking for earth, citrus, and mellow sweet. Looking to make a sauce and various pickeled pepper relishes.

I am not trying to eat the peppers daily, but I believe that by tasting them you can get a better grasp on flavor melds to try.

I am already growing yellow fatalii peppers. I had a yellow 7pot last year, and half a red bhut. They were both really hard on the throat burn and was just trying to find something that could help build to that hot coal feeling.
BlackFatalii said:

+1

I would say try to find a pepper that you like. If a whole pod is too much, just eat a piece at a time. That being said, I would suggest trying the CARDI scorpion as a next step after habs. It has a pleasant, fruity taste and aroma, and is in between habs and bhuts in heat, and tastes great on pizza  :cool: It's a personal favorite of mine, just because of the flavor (think hot pineapples).

Welcome to the addiction. You will find plenty of enablers here  :lol:

Oh yeah, after the endorphin rush last year, and being able to finally taste the flavors through the heat was just amazing. It's like I'm in this club and to everyone else these things are deadly, but to me I pick up citrus notes, deep woody earthy undertones, hard punching tart.

Gah. It's like when I had my first glass of quality whiskey all over again.

Got yelled at last night for putting hab pepper flakes on my spaghetti. Girlfriend did the dishes and the spice got on her wrist and she rubbed her eye.

TrueNorthReptiles said:
Yellow fataliis, at least the ones I have grown, absolutely slay me compared to all the habanero varieties I grow. To my palate, they are every bit as painful as a lot of bhuts/nagas. 

Same here - I'd love someone to explain why this is so true.  I grew fataliis and yellow brain strains last year and I swear the fataliis were noticeably hotter to my taste buds.  Just pure pain...

Back