• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What type of chilli did I get?

I was at a fruit store last week and picked up some chilli's for $3.99 per kg. Not sure what they are though the link is to a photo I took of them.

http://viykor.com/images/whatchilli.jpg

Thought they might have been Tabasco chiilis, they were sold as Birds Eyes but my Birds Eyes are much smaller than these.

So any ideas on what I ended up with?

NOT tabasco. When you get right down to it, what does it matter? Are they good? Unless you intend to collect seeds, the only use for them is immediate consumption or drying.

Are they hot?

Do they taste good?

These are more important than the name!

I understand where you are coming from, it is just impossible to identify peppers from a picture these days. There are too many hybrids and crosses.

cheezydemon said:
NOT tabasco. When you get right down to it, what does it matter? Are they good? Unless you intend to collect seeds, the only use for them is immediate consumption or drying.

Are they hot?

Do they taste good?

These are more important than the name!

I understand where you are coming from, it is just impossible to identify peppers from a picture these days. There are too many hybrids and crosses.

You're right I'm not too worried about it, if they were Tabasco's I would have collected some seed that's all.

Right on!

Not tobasco.

Also, saving seeds from an unknown source is like playing with fire.

I saved seeds from a Beautiful heirloom bell last year.

What came up was a really hot peter pepper cross of some sort,lol.

I admire your thinking though!

Look into the parcel post seed trading project. You'll find it under seeds near the bottom of the main page.

They sure have Bird's Eye shape and there are some not so small varieties, but in the end they all look sooo similiar (same with Tabasco/Cayenne/Thai varieties) that it is nearly impossible to tell. If they are good, save some seeds anyway and grow your own.

IMO One of the many thai frutescens types (thai birdseyes)you get here and there..
heavy producing plants good up front burn.

Thanks everyone, I'll keep some seed and try and get it growing myself. The birdseye I've got now produces a much smaller chilli.

Nothing like a bit of variety.

Back