• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What type of Thai Pepper is this?

I just picked these up at my local Ralphs & they were labeled "Thai Chillies"
Is that just the type? or does anyone know what the specific strain is?

Here is a Picture​

006.jpg

Hi,

I live in Thailand it looks like 'Prik Kee Noo' which translates as 'mouse shit chilli' due to it being so small. Sometimes known as Bird Chilli. Quite hot and very tasty in a Thai curry. Funnily enough I just started some germinating a couple of hours back.

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/ingredients/pkn.html

Hope this helps,

Ezzer

Hi,

I live in Thailand it looks like 'Prik Kee Noo' which translates as 'mouse shit chilli' due to it being so small. Sometimes known as Bird Chilli. Quite hot and very tasty in a Thai curry. Funnily enough I just started some germinating a couple of hours back.

Hope this helps,

Ezzer

thanks for the link. I think this is it?(copied and pasted from the URL)
prik leuang, an orangish yellow chillie with good flavor and quite hot, though nothing close to a prik kee noo suan

Hi,

Hope this helps,

Ezzer

ohh thankks that does helpp. :D

sizes varies on my plants, minimum size is 2.5 inches upt to 4" long. I asked Exavier if he is familiar with this and that is what he told me.

yeaah it soundds like that is probably it.

thanks for the link. I think this is it?(copied and pasted from the URL)

I have only just joined the site and new to growing peppers. I was looking through the forums for info/advice and was very surprised to find a question I could help with. I've seen 'Prik Kee Noo' in many colours including orange and yellow. The locals say it's the hottest in Thailand, still not close to a Habanero, which I hope to prove to them in a few months, fingers crossed.

Ezzer

I have only just joined the site and new to growing peppers. I was looking through the forums for info/advice and was very surprised to find a question I could help with. I've seen 'Prik Kee Noo' in many colours including orange and yellow. The locals say it's the hottest in Thailand, still not close to a Habanero, which I hope to prove to them in a few months, fingers crossed.

Ezzer

Welcome from Louisiana!

(Looks like what is known around here as thai orange) Potawie.) Yes think the same. But Thai chilies are anything looking like a cayane, any color. My hybred Cayanne are proudly called Thai Red (Prik si dang) And grown here so ? But seeds from USA which got from South america.

The Prik si som seeds I sent out are not Thai orange, which is like orange cayanne.
Prik key nuu is tabasco also called chili point sky (Prik shee fah)

Thailand has now so many kinds of chilies. So soon you may here of Prik ron si Dang.

This is what is known as thai orange around the online chile community. Probably smaller pods than the original pic, and upright so likely something different

may11011dv4.jpg

Ezzer

ohh well :welcome: from California !
& if you need help with anythingg, like advicee or getting started with seeds, I just contact mee.
& yeaah thankss for your advicee !

This is what is known as thai orange around the online chile community. Probably smaller pods than the original pic, and upright so likely something different

may11011dv4.jpg

yeaah looks similarr, but I can't really tell what the size are on that pic. The pods that I bought were pretty small though.

ohh well :welcome: from California !
& if you need help with anythingg, like advicee or getting started with seeds, I just contact mee.
& yeaah thankss for your advicee !
Cheers, I'll be needing all the help I can get, never grown a thing in my life before! fingers crossed, hopefully I've been hiding a green thumb for all these years!

Cheers, I'll be needing all the help I can get, never grown a thing in my life before! fingers crossed, hopefully I've been hiding a green thumb for all these years!

yeaah, well I just started back this winterr. & I'm learning new things every daay! & yeaah maybe if you want some starter seeds, I might be able to hook you up.

I should ask where in Thailand are you? As some of Thailand is maybe to hot to do many chilies well.

The orange chilies pointing up are more like Prik key nuu homm. Also called Bird or chili point sky with an added orange. I've seen a few white ones but more to the look of Prik key nuu suan. Nuu means rat, but rat and mouse are sort of the same to Thai. Funny I've never seen the Thai chilies like that here? New Chilies are mostly called Chili (Prik) Color ref (si) and then the color. Orange habs become, Prik si som. Orange Cayenne become, Prik si som. There are not really to many type for sale here yet so most shops have only about 5 types so not hard to pick. Prik si som, for the most part are like a carot chili. Easy to find every where 3 inch by 1 inch and not like a cayenne.

But if your looking for orange cayenne not easy to find here, even when called Thai orange. Think its easyer to get Thai called types in any country but here.

Back