• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation What type of vinegar do you use/is the best?

As the title states, what kind of vinegar do you artisan's use in your sauces?

Which ones do you feel make the better sauces?

I've been messing around with different kinds, and different ways to give my sauce that extra edge...I've come up with some pretty good stuff...

So what do you use:
  • white
  • rice
  • apple cider
  • balsamic (everything I've read as not used balsamic, though I'm thinking of trying a batch out with it)

If I use vinegar it's rice vinegar or something like a balsamic. I want it to either do it's job without adding any or very little flavor to the sauce or I want it to be something that will add to the flavor profile. Rice vinegar has a very mild flavor so it does it's job with out overpowering the other ingredients. Adding to the flavor profile would be like adding a balsamic vinegar to a sauce with chocolate, they'll complement each other.

I've used white when just screwin around. Cider for pickling or stronger vinegar sauces, and rice for when i get a good idea but wanna keep the vinegar on the down low.

As all above have said, each vinegar has its place in different sauces. Rather than ask (and everyone's tastes is subjective), try your own - make a few small batches where everything is the same except the vinegar type and see which you like best for that particular sauce.

Back