• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What varieties have you seen sun burn?

This is the first year I have had some challenges with sun burn.  I've seen growers in Florida use tons of shade cloth, but haven't really needed it over hardened or mature plants until this year.  I can't really get a handle on a pattern. 

White Fatalii - Sunburn
Red Fatalii - No sunburn
Star of Turkey - Sunburn

It doesn't seem to be based on color other than browns / chocolates which seem fine.  They go from green to brown without that ugly purple on the sun side.  Maybe if folk contribute their observations, we can come up with a list of peppers that are particularly prone to sun burn and a list that is resistant.

I have it on some of the reapers, but not bad at all.  No clue what the sun is like in Belgium.  Here it hasnt presented much of a problem until recently.  Thought it was expanding into variety that burn easily.  Wondering if it isnt a change in the UV.  Either way, going the route of more high tunnels and shade cloth.  Getting strange when you have to grow under cover.

Nearly all my peppers planted in full sun have the burn, only the fuller lush plants like Yellow Cardi Scorpion do not have it, they got really lush and full this year making a nice canopy to protect the chili's. 

I have a couple other varieties that got nice and lush this year also protecting the chili's.   I think its more about growing conditions than actual variety, anyhow thats my two cents. 

cheers

Back