i think i win.... 9pans and 3 pots.

Picture371.jpg

better shot of the pans.
Picture373.jpg

3 pans are made in tiwan and say ckr or ckp
and the rest are made by "Levco"

the pots are cast but prolly not iron.

nubster said:
I LOVE cast iron. I don't have a huge collection but what I have suits me well. Only thing I would like to get are a couple large dutch ovens. Here is my little collection. Couple of them need a good seasoning since they have not been used in quit awhile...

castiron-1.jpg

I need to borrow that pot in the middle. You got some heavy voodoo goin' on there!

Salute', TB.

I have a cast iron question. The lid to my 6qt dutch oven is rusty on the inside. I assume I neglected to oil it, or put it away wet from steam. How can I fix this?

JayT said:
I have a cast iron question. The lid to my 6qt dutch oven is rusty on the inside. I assume I neglected to oil it, or put it away wet from steam. How can I fix this?

scrub the crap out of it. oil it and bake it for an hour at a low heat will re-season your cast iron.

texas blues said:
I need to borrow that pot in the middle. You got some heavy voodoo goin' on there!

Salute', TB.

$5 yard sale find. Pretty heavy and seems old but nothing to confirm that. Great for small batches of chili.

You got me beat. Nice collection. I would like to have my grandfathers collection. He probably has 20 or more different pieces, most being pretty old. He doesn't use them, just has them hanging in his garage.

N_FF said:
i think i win.... 9pans and 3 pots.

Picture371.jpg

better shot of the pans.
Picture373.jpg

3 pans are made in tiwan and say ckr or ckp
and the rest are made by "Levco"

the pots are cast but prolly not iron.

@ JayT - scrub it real good. Maybe even break out the steel wool. Slather that thing in veg oil and bake in oven for an hour or so @300F. When you put your CI oven away with lid on top, put some folded paper towels between the lid and the pot. This will let a little air flow and keep moisture from building up inside.

@Nubster - talk to ur grandfather. If they're in the garage not being used he'd probably love to give them to you, and get the first meal from them for the favor.

I keep the cast iron in the oven except for the 9" skillet which gets used too much and thus stays on top. Nice thing is, this ancient stove is gas and so the pilot lights keeps the pans nice and comfy.

I need to find a bigger skillet though.

To recondition use animal fat not veg. Seasoning with vegetable oil makes it sticky. It will collect dust and be harder to maintain. Got bacon drippings? ;)

that stuff will make anything taste good. but yea bacon grease works best since it has a lower smoke temp than veg oil so it will season the pan faster. and it just tastes better.

Canola works fine too, but will give a more brownish tint than the nice black from animal fats.

Never use EVOO for seasoning though...it's just all wrong.

ah yes dont realy like the stuff tastes like soap to me. its good when heated but cold it tastes like soap. but yea realy bad at high temps and i doubt the soapy taste would be verry good in cast iron.

You can also season your CI with a bar of Palmolive. It's nice and gentle, and won't scratch the delicate finish....

:rofl:

SumOfMyBits said:
I agree with THP. Veg oil WILL make your CI a bit sticky. Bacon fat would be preferred.

Ya, it's just terrible..

I'm forced to make all this yummy bacon just to keep my pan up to speed...dern it. ;)

(I have a nice big jar of saved bacon fat in the fridge. The stuff will keep for years if kept cold and with minimal air....sooo good to cook with)

QuadShotz said:
Ya, it's just terrible..

I'm forced to make all this yummy bacon just to keep my pan up to speed...dern it. ;)

(I have a nice big jar of saved bacon fat in the fridge. The stuff will keep for years if kept cold and with minimal air....sooo good to cook with)

....and so healthy too........:)

CH had posted this a little earlier, I failed to respond properly..

Fresh fried tortilla chips and taco shells RULE.

NO MOTHERHUMPIN JOKE.

SWMBO hates the mess, but it doesn't get any better than fresh chips and fresh salsa from the garden. DEAR GOD......

Back