• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

whatcha know about transplanting...

Johnny and I are going back and forth on this .. we have a bunch of awesome, strong, huge bhuts that are in a hydroponics system and I think we should plant them outsite and put new ones into the hydro system bc it works so well,.. Johnny thinks you can't move plants from a hydro system to dirt because the roots wont be strong enough...

This doesn't make sense to me, especially because those aerogardens have kits for you to start there then plant into dirt..

Have any of you done this? .. Hope you guys are on my side for this fight.. :o)

xox:crazy:

I've transplanted from DWC and from Ebb & Flo into dirt a ton- it works just fine. I use a ghetto lettuce raft setup to start cabbage and broccoli and cauliflower, and move them out into the garden once they are well established. It shocks the hell out of them the first day but they pop right back up and go gangbusters.

So yeah you can do it, but I'd rather use it as an excuse to build more hydroponic setups! ;)

If you want to transplant from hydro to soil, rockwool and coco coir can be planted directly. I'd worry about root damage in some of the other systems/mediums.

I would worry about hardening off. Sunlight is going to be much, much brighter than even a 1000-watt hps plus you have wind to worry about. If it's only a very few plants, you could always build a rough frame and hang a sheet over it, gradually increasing the time it is not over the plants until not needed.

Mike

Hinky said:
I've transplanted from DWC and from Ebb & Flo into dirt a ton- it works just fine. I use a ghetto lettuce raft setup to start cabbage and broccoli and cauliflower, and move them out into the garden once they are well established. It shocks the hell out of them the first day but they pop right back up and go gangbusters.

So yeah you can do it, but I'd rather use it as an excuse to build more hydroponic setups! ;)

Well, that's good to know. My hydro system has 60 spaces for plants, but only 5 or 6 will be for Habaneros. I plan to inter-crop lettuce, and many other veggies in the remaining spaces, which I'd like to put in the ground at some point. Cheers.

I started a thread here (Grow Tech) with pictures of "my" system; it's 3" pipe and works on the constant flow process.

I have never transplanted a big plant, but medium sized plants i transplant alot. As i use a cutting board to get them to middle size fast. Then i put them into soild. I never had any problems (so far) knock knock on wood.

What i do is i try to split up the roots as much as possible in the new pot then i fill it all the way up with dirt. And water it alot. After a few days i can se the roots comming out of the pot in the bottom. I dont know if its important but i use rathler small pots when i transplant just to get the root system going. Then they go to bigger pots.

Why not try with one of the plants ? ;)

Good luck!

Back