• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping What's everyone's experience with myco products?

I've used Plant Success - Granular with no visible success, and I've tried Xtreme Gardening Mykos that doesn't really seem to be doing anything at all either...what are your experiences with it?

I've never really tried it but just ordered some. How did you apply the Mycos?
I've heard nothing but good things about it!

I mix mine with peat and put seedlings in there I have found my seedlings are tougher and have better root systems. When I pot up to 1gal I put it in the transplant hole and within a week I see roots at the bottom.

extreme gardening mycos is great for taking clones.  Haven;t tried it yet but i will be this fall.  I ordered some online for about 23$ and it sells at the grow shops in Durango CO for 50$ a bag.  I also use great white mycos.  Nothing but fantastic root development in my garden this year and with my cannabis grow last fall.  

I'm using Promix soil which contains mycos. I see no difference in comparison to soil that does not contain it. Some say it is effective, but there are many variables to a grow and there are many superstitious beliefs held by growers as well. I plan to use it next season from 1st transplant on to see if improvements can be made to my root systems prior to adding too many extraneous variables to the grow.

First you need to have an organic environment for it to thrive.  Myco will boost the ecosystem in your soil, and watering with chlorinated water, using synthetic fertilizers, etc will just kill it and the beneficial bacteria.  You can use it most effectively two ways, in teas that are used as a root drench, or in a solution of water/myco.  The roots should be your target, and putting it in the planting hole is also a good practice.  When it gets watered, it will activate, but in all reality if you have a balanced medium, inoculating the roots (with a root drench of it) every couple weeks will help tremendously to boost the soil food web.  Benefits include better/greater yield, better taste, disease resistance, nutrient uptake, water retention, and much more.  Mycorrhizae should be in every organic grower's arsenal. 

ms1476 said:
I'm using Promix soil which contains mycos. I see no difference in comparison to soil that does not contain it. Some say it is effective, but there are many variables to a grow and there are many superstitious beliefs held by growers as well. I plan to use it next season from 1st transplant on to see if improvements can be made to my root systems prior to adding too many extraneous variables to the grow.

The spore count in promix is lower than some other mixes out there, although it is still present.  Promix on its own (the bales of BX/HP) isn't designed as an all inclusive potting mix, it should be used as a base for a built soil.  There is relatively no nutrients in the soil, and without a balance of macro and micro nutrients you are only going to get so far with it.  The mycorrhizae should be continually added throughout the season, and using things like AACT will be super beneficial to its development. 
Oh, and I will throw out there that there are different myco products on the market, the Myco Blast (XG) I think is a blend of some sort.  I have used it in my AACT and it was ok.  I am now using ultrafine Green Gro Myco, and it is supposed to be much better.  It quickly dissolves so it is great for use right off the bat! 

I have used Xtreme for all my transfers this year, so I don't have a non mycoed plant as a control, but it definately hasn't hurt any of my plants.  I just sprinkle it into the tranfer hole before putting the plants in.  I also used Jobes fert with Mycos in it as the base fert in my dirt mix.  Again, no issues so far.  And I only water with rain or AC dripping water.

MGOLD86 said:
First you need to have an organic environment for it to thrive.  Myco will boost the ecosystem in your soil, and watering with chlorinated water, using synthetic fertilizers, etc will just kill it and the beneficial bacteria.  You can use it most effectively two ways, in teas that are used as a root drench, or in a solution of water/myco.  The roots should be your target, and putting it in the planting hole is also a good practice.  When it gets watered, it will activate, but in all reality if you have a balanced medium, inoculating the roots (with a root drench of it) every couple weeks will help tremendously to boost the soil food web.  Benefits include better/greater yield, better taste, disease resistance, nutrient uptake, water retention, and much more.  Mycorrhizae should be in every organic grower's arsenal. 

The spore count in promix is lower than some other mixes out there, although it is still present.  Promix on its own (the bales of BX/HP) isn't designed as an all inclusive potting mix, it should be used as a base for a built soil.  There is relatively no nutrients in the soil, and without a balance of macro and micro nutrients you are only going to get so far with it.  The mycorrhizae should be continually added throughout the season, and using things like AACT will be super beneficial to its development. 

Oh, and I will throw out there that there are different myco products on the market, the Myco Blast (XG) I think is a blend of some sort.  I have used it in my AACT and it was ok.  I am now using ultrafine Green Gro Myco, and it is supposed to be much better.  It quickly dissolves so it is great for use right off the bat! 
Yeah, I figured Promix by itself wouldn't be the holy grail component in this season's grow. I used compost (which also contained myco) and manure in my mix while using nutes as well. I added those components to Promix HP Potting Mix because it is an extremely light, well-draining mix for containers. Next season, I plan to try different methods that may make the effects of myco more salient.

MGOLD86 said:

myco doesn't do anything in compost tea, I've looked up a lot of sources but basically they all say something like

Mycorrhizal fungi will always improve the health of your plants.  You'll want to purchase an endo mycorrhizal inoculant that contains Glomus intraradices and Glomus mosseae.  These are the species that form symbiotic relations with cannabis.  I ordered mine from Kelp4less.

These fungi will not germinate/grow/reproduce in an ACT.  The spores will only germinate when in direct contact with a plants roots.  I find that it's best applied on first transplant.

also any myco with trichoderma isn't as effective since trichoderma eats other fungus (myco)

jedisushi06 said:
extreme gardening mycos is great for taking clones.  Haven;t tried it yet but i will be this fall.  I ordered some online for about 23$ and it sells at the grow shops in Durango CO for 50$ a bag.  I also use great white mycos.  Nothing but fantastic root development in my garden this year and with my cannabis grow last fall.  
I thought it was their Azos product they promote for taking clones.  At least the videos they have on You Tube are, and testing Azos against Clonex.

I was thinking about 'innoculating' my compost with it and just leaving it for months to multiply while the soil breaks down.  I am not too worried if it doesn't do a huge amount as it wouldn't be any work.  Does anyone have experience with this?

Robisburning said:
I was thinking about 'innoculating' my compost with it and just leaving it for months to multiply while the soil breaks down.  I am not too worried if it doesn't do a huge amount as it wouldn't be any work.  Does anyone have experience with this?

making myco takes a lot of effort, you can't just leave root fungus in dirt and expect it to thrive

I ended up going with this stuff, since an ounce will be enough for 150-250 plants and it's only $6 per ounce

http://fungi.com/product-detail/product/mycogrow-soluble-1-oz.html

Robisburning said:
Righto, got it, thank you.  You might have saved me some wasted $.

I have struggled to find a good source of myco in New Zealand but did find this website:

http://www.rd2.co.nz/index.php?page=biologicals

The Mycomax lists Glomus intraradices, Glomus mosseae, Scleroderma cepa), is this the stuff I am after?
yeah, I'm not sure about which is best for peppers but peppers/tomatoes/cannabis are related so I'm guessing they should be colonize the roots fine

cndij said:
I thought it was their Azos product they promote for taking clones.  At least the videos they have on You Tube are, and testing Azos against Clonex.
your right i got confused.  I just re read what i wrote i fucked up.  Azos is good for cloning and adding into your soil.  It converts atmospheric nitrogen into a useable form available to plant roots.  

cactusMD said:
myco doesn't do anything in compost tea, I've looked up a lot of sources but basically they all say something like

Mycorrhizal fungi will always improve the health of your plants.  You'll want to purchase an endo mycorrhizal inoculant that contains Glomus intraradices and Glomus mosseae.  These are the species that form symbiotic relations with cannabis.  I ordered mine from Kelp4less.

These fungi will not germinate/grow/reproduce in an ACT.  The spores will only germinate when in direct contact with a plants roots.  I find that it's best applied on first transplant.
also any myco with trichoderma isn't as effective since trichoderma eats other fungus (myco)
Yes, but most myco is water soluble and adding it to the tea will inoculate as you drench the roots. Yes, roots must be present, but aside from putting it in the planting hole, continued inoculation must be done through water soluble myco. I use tea every couple weeks, so it goes in there. If I didn't, I would just dissolve in water (following instructions on the bottle because they typically differ) and drench the roots. Using it in the tea is more for ease of use, not to necessarily boost it.

Either way, it is great stuff.

MGOLD86 said:
Yes, but most myco is water soluble and adding it to the tea will inoculate as you drench the roots. Yes, roots must be present, but aside for putting it in the planting hole, continued inoculation must be done trough water soluble myco. I use tea every couple weeks, so it goes in there. If I didn't, I would just dissolve in water (following instructions on the bottle because they typically differ) and drench the roots. Using it in the tea is more for ease of use, not to necessarily boost it.

Either way, it is great stuff.

it's best if you just add it at the very end, the spores degrade in water pretty fast and your tea might have trichoderma that eat the myco so if you put it at the start of the tea you won't get much myco

Yea, just read that. I have been under the impression that it is fine in the tea (I have even seen some tea mixes with it in it), but the article I read was more in line with your experience. I think I'll just find another route in the future. The even took it as far as adding it to the surface of the soil in a root drench may not get desired results because myco thrives in darkness.

Maybe watering directly to the roots (funnel in the soil or something) may be the best option after initial use in the planting hole.

Back