free Whats Fair Concerning "Free Seeds"

I offer a lot of free seeds from time to time. Most times, when someone responds to the offer, I generally refer them to the "Proper way to SASBE" thread here developed by Wayright. There are many exceptions to the rule but for the mostpart, I expect folks to send their own postage in order to receive the seeds that I'm providing. Typically, I end up throwing several other varieties in just to be nice.

"There is also a long traditional of rather less spiritual beggars, in India and elsewhere, who are simply begging as a means to obtain material wealth. Some are even beggars for generations, and continue their family tradition of begging. A few beggars in the subcontinent even have sizable wealth, which they accumulate by "employing" other, newer beggars. They can claim to have territories, and then may engage in verbal and physical abuse of encroaching beggars."...... Wiki
The only panhandler on the street I have given to was one honest enough to hold up a cardboard sign ..."Help Me --do alcohol research !",
I brought him a Burger King Lunch.

I remember sending a bubble envelope, did I forget to include postage? I don't mine paying postage, but have (I think twice now out of 20-30 trades) forgotten the stamps on the desk and found them after I mailed the envelope.

If it was me, I don't have any problems putting some stamps in an envelope... or a dollar or two to your paypal...

It's is fair to ask for a SASBE in return for free seeds. As a new member of this forum, it took me a while to figure out what SASE/SASBE was, so I didn't respond to all the great offers. You do have to spell it out so there's no misunderstanding.

Sy

I may have forgot to put the stamps on the envelope i sent you but i can't remember right now. My apologies if i did. PM me your address if i need to mail you stamps to get it out. I work everyday except sunday so i get rushed on things sometimes.

As others said in your post you did mention a SASE or Trade so Whether to cover the postage is up to you -- What I would probably do is send those that did not include postage an E-mail letting them know that they need to resend and that if they do then you'd be glad to send seeds (just explain in the e-mail that sending seeds to 50 or so people and paying the postage is just not something you can afford and is why you posted the need for it to be included -- and include the link to the sticky thread on sending a SASBE. Or if you're feeling generous then you could send the seeds along with a letter explaining the regular process and explain that you covered it this time but want them to learn the correct process for the future. (really depends on how many you received and what you can afford - also might do a combination of these depending on what was sent - ie. if it includes a letter telling you they are new and appreciate the offer and seem to want to do things right and just do not know the process vs. just sending a note saying SEND THE SEEDS and nothing else might get different responses) -- Figure some people just do not know the process and sending them an E-mail explaining things and requesting it be resent if they really want the seeds shows you are at least trying to help them and if they do not resend then at least you offered to still send them.

Also lately I've noticed the postal service is very inconsistent in the rates they charge for a bubble and many people will not include the correct amount (ie. My local post office will usually charge the $1.95 rate for a package due to the thickness of the bubble while others simply charge $.45 or $.90 cents --- so when ever I do a bubble I always include the $1.95 on the return bubble so that the one offering does not wind up getting charged the extra $1.05 rather than chancing it !! ( Figure better safe than sorry ! - If I'm sending a request I should be the one paying the charges not the one offering the seeds ) -- Again this is why you need to really be interested in the seeds and not just jump on any offer made.

Just my $.02 cents !! -- Also one other thing I've noticed which really saddens me lately is the number of people accepting free seed offers or entering lotteries and then after winning seeds that they are sent free they turn around and offer to Sell them to others for Cash instead of planting or sharing with others --- If you are getting seeds for free I personally feel they shouldn't be sold ! ( I have no problem with selling seeds to cover costs or make a bit of money to pay for things but taking something someone offers to help others and trying to turn a profit off of them is just not right - and winds up making the person that gave the seeds and others Stop giving them away hurting everyone in the long run !!

Are you friggen kidding me?
We aren't alking about $$$ here.
It's a few pennies, and if you can afford internet service, BUCK UP, put some stamps in an envelope with a couple bucks
to buy the fella a beer.

It's not just the money for the stamp, the offerer has to fill the envelope, make sure it's addressed properly,
Then take it to the P.O. A lot of attention is needed just to send "free seeds".
Again, we aren't talking about a lot of money here. Be as nice to the offerer as he is by offering free stuff.

I say screw'em. No stamps/envelope, no free lunch.

Are you friggen kidding me?
We aren't alking about $$$ here.
It's a few pennies, and if you can afford internet service, BUCK UP, put some stamps in an envelope with a couple bucks
to buy the fella a beer.

It's not just the money for the stamp, the offerer has to fill the envelope, make sure it's addressed properly,
Then take it to the P.O. A lot of attention is needed just to send "free seeds".
Again, we aren't talking about a lot of money here. Be as nice to the offerer as he is by offering free stuff.

I say screw'em. No stamps/envelope, no free lunch.

Though actually it is also a matter of the $$$$ --- It adds up really quickly figure let's say 50 people at $1.95 each winds up costing the offerer $100 to give others free seeds !!!

Though actually it is also a matter of the $$$$ --- It adds up really quickly figure let's say 50 people at $1.95 each winds up costing the offerer $100 to give others free seeds !!!

That's my point exactly.
If you can afford interweb service, (to accept the offer in the first place), $1.95 ain't nothin!

I am one of the ones that requested some of the seeds and I now realize that I may not have included enough stamps to cover the return postage.

But, I would have to agree with JDFan in the inconsistencies from the postal service and the information on the web concerning how much postage should be placed on a bubble envelope. I have read and reread the post on proper SASBE practices and even so it still isn't clear. From what I have gathered the correct thing to do would be to include $1.95 worth of stamps for the return postage which is what I am going to do from here on out.

I think unless the person offering the free seeds says in the post that they will cover shipping costs it's not asking too much to include an envelope and enough stamps to cover it. Even paying $1.95 both ways is alot cheaper that what you can buy seeds for from most places.

I am new around here and truly appreciate the generosity of the fellow members that offer the free seeds.

Thank you to all that replied. That's why I love this site, you can always expect to receive a lot of good advice. Hmmmmm, now what would King Solomon do? Ok, here goes: Those who responded correctly will receive their seeds right away. Those who didn't supply me with an envelope or a stamp will receive a PM notice from me outlining the "Conditions for Free Seeds". I will give those people another opportunity to abide by what the majority of us feel is fair and decent. The risk they will take is by the time they send the correct postage/envelope there may be no more seeds to give away. Thanks again everyone, you have restored my faith in people!!!

Well Doc, I didn't bother to read any replies, and mine will probably be a 'repeat', but it's simple.....it's up to whomever has the seeds. :) Some ppl sell AND give with or without charging postage. I myself do not see it as 'wrong' either way. I thought ur post was pretty clear....to get the seeds, we need to send u a sase.

Mine should be there soon..thanks again for sharing your seeds with us!! :dance:

I can only speak for myself but being a relative newbie and having replied to some members here on THP for free seeds; I, from what I can recall, have always sent a SASBE with the exception of one. In the PM they just wanted my address and they mailed in a plain envelope with minimal pkg. and it only cost the current price of one stamp.

Usually the norm for me in a SASBE is 3 Forever stamps on outside envelope and a little note along with return address and another 3 Forever stamps inside. I think it comes out to $1.35-$1.38 for return trip. So far that has worked for me as I have never heard from anyone and I always send a Thank you PM when they arrive.

I realize they are doing me the favor as they could easiy throw them away if they want--just keep what they want and some extra for trade.
Anyway that's my take if it matters.

i have a few times gotten sasbe or sase with insufficient info , such as no username and/or insufficient postage to cross reference so i could track them down on THP, i sit on them until the person contacts me, as was mentioned about time and effort it does take both but i enjoy it, the joy i get in giving is my payment
knowing that someone is going to have a nice garden with peppers from my seeds, i also enjoy when i see pics of those plants on THP

also im quoting the person who mentions cost, it really can come down to money if you let it, but i have found that most on here are very helpful, i always ask for the little baggies for the seeds some do not have them and i understand that, many have given me large amounts of them here and there, i see how i go through them and also see how many request i process and if i had to pay for even a few it would kill me

i remain proactive on the issue and set criteria right up front, if there are any further questions i welcome and answer them with politeness and a loving spirit

i honestly have never had a major issue when i remained adherent to the directions i set right at the start, people seem to respect that

thanks your friend Joe

i have a few times gotten sasbe or sase with insufficient info , such as no username and/or insufficient postage to cross reference so i could track them down on THP, i sit on them until the person contacts me, as was mentioned about time and effort it does take both but i enjoy it, the joy i get in giving is my payment
knowing that someone is going to have a nice garden with peppers from my seeds, i also enjoy when i see pics of those plants on THP

also im quoting the person who mentions cost, it really can come down to money if you let it, but i have found that most on here are very helpful, i always ask for the little baggies for the seeds some do not have them and i understand that, many have given me large amounts of them here and there (THANKS ALL), i see how i go through them and also see how many request i process and if i had to pay for even a few it would kill me

i remain proactive on the issue and set criteria right up front, if there are any further questions i welcome and answer them with politeness and a loving spirit, because sometimes they dont read the thread and just see "FREE SEEDS" and im sure not all are doing this in a malicious way,but i refer them back to the thread and have them read the directions so they understand

i honestly have never had a major issue when i remained adherent to the directions i set right at the start, people seem to respect that

thanks your friend Joe

"Recently I mad an open offer for free Arledge pepper seeds and asked if anyone was interested to provide me with the means (postage) to send them their free seeds." That's what you said in chat, and now you have posted here.

"If they didn't send postage don't send the seeds." I stand by my comment in chat, and I am owning up to it here. Just trying to have your back bro.

+1 to PapaBill and ajijoe above... and the rest of those commenting here.

I also remember telling you in chat that I sent seeds to you without expectation of return. You did return seeds and had some kind words for me if I remember correctly....

I agree with many of the people. NO STAMP... NO SEEDS. You are nice enough to share your seeds, the least they can do is pay for postage. If they whine about it, then they dont deserve your nice gesture. You offer free seeds and they complain?... then they should get a sack of coal :dance:

You did it the right way DR.CRES.

the people that didnt pay the postage dont get the seeds..... the envelope i sent you had a note saying the seeds the user name and another envelope inside with postage on it

Back