• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What's going on here?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60263175@N08/6287741374

This should either be a Naga or a Chocolate Habanero. It doesn't look like either and it's purple. Radical cross pollination? Any ideas?

ps, Why can't i post pics in the thread?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60263175@N08/6287741374

This should either be a Naga or a Chocolate Habanero. It doesn't look like either and it's purple. Radical cross pollination? Any ideas?
Do you have a photo of the leaves and flowers? Cross pollination of your flowers will affect the plants grown from the seeds. Hence this is a result of the plant/seed source not providing something that is true to form.

ps, Why can't i post pics in the thread?
There's a guide on how to link to images from flickr that may be of help.

I have a few varieties that some pods turn purple like that when they get a lot of direct sun, particularly varieties with yellow pods. The pods that are covered by leaves, though, don't turn purple. Are your purplish pods in direct sun most of the time?

6287741374_836e37c1b5.jpg

Here ya go. They do kinda look like eggplant :crazy:

No, they are not egg plants.

Yeah, they have been in the sun but not drastically so. We have had such a terrible drought this year the plants are just recently setting fruit. The seeds are from my own stock and I'm very careful with them. All I planted this year were Naga and chocolate habs. It's also more than one plant doing this.

Maybe i have a new mutant hybrid strain on my hands! ;-)

It's weird, I have only seen purple like that on ornamental species

Looks like the birds and bees have been at work here. Man those are going to be unusual. Any black peppers in the neighborhood?

Do they look alot like a Cajamarca... the colour when unripe and the shape. Check out Windchicken Grow log, he has them growing.

The purple is the peppers "suntan lotion". I had pods on every plant show purple. Probable even more significant with drought conditions.

Here's a 7 Pot Barrackpore of mine that had a great purple color. When it ripened it was red like it was supposed to be.

DSC007841550x1163.jpg

Sorry, nothing new and not a mutant.

The purple is the peppers "suntan lotion". I had pods on every plant show purple. Probable even more significant with drought conditions.

Here's a 7 Pot Barrackpore of mine that had a great purple color. When it ripened it was red like it was supposed to be.

DSC007841550x1163.jpg

Sorry, nothing new and not a mutant.

+1 on the pod blushing, it seems to always happen pod side facing the sun.

Greg

Thank you Meatfreak! You have solved the mystery.

Every time I order woozies to bottle my hot sauce from peppermania.com, Beth, the proprietor, always throws in a packet of exotic chile seeds as a freebie. This year I decided to germinate a few of them while mainly concentrating on Nagas and Chocolate Habs. I thought only a few made it and i had planted them in one corner of the garden (there are a couple other oddball varieties over there). I must have got these mixed up with the Chocolate Habaneros while raising the starter plants and there are more than i thought if them.

Thanks again. I knew I could count on the think tank that is the Hotpepper.com to figure this out.

They may indeed by Cajamarca peppers. But, they usually go from orange to purple but not always. You'll know by the end of the season. Good luck with them.

Nova the pod was erect.

Thank you Meatfreak! You have solved the mystery.

Every time I order woozies to bottle my hot sauce from peppermania.com, Beth, the proprietor, always throws in a packet of exotic chile seeds as a freebie. This year I decided to germinate a few of them while mainly concentrating on Nagas and Chocolate Habs. I thought only a few made it and i had planted them in one corner of the garden (there are a couple other oddball varieties over there). I must have got these mixed up with the Chocolate Habaneros while raising the starter plants and there are more than i thought if them.

Thanks again. I knew I could count on the think tank that is the Hotpepper.com to figure this out.

Your welcome, glad I could help as being a newbie.

Back