• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

What's going on with my Papaya tree?

11954291396_3ed53665d5_z.jpg

Leaves look all deformed

11953453545_4e397febf7_z.jpg

spots all over

11953894224_8da3da36d8_z.jpg

thanks for your help.

When I worked on a papaya farm in hawaii I used to see the deformed leaves when we had mites. we would spray with sulfur and it would ususally take care of it. also, could be virus, in which case you should get rid of the plant.

what variety is that?

Seems to me maybe a molybendum deficiency.

Since that is a micronute its liable to be locked out by pH issues.

I'd start by checking your pH. If its mites with that amount of damage you should be able to turn the leaf over and see them as little dots.

Sorry, I've been ignoring this thread for a few days...  

I checked under the leaves, there appears to be no signs of mites.

Ah, i think that that is bark media I am using.  I purchased it from a local nursery when I didn't know anything about good soil...  I mixed in a little bit of coco coir.  added some dry fertilizer called Dr. Earth Organic.  

In a month or two, I will try experimenting with compost tea.  

if no mites than it could be a lot of things. sometimes plants get deformed leaves and then grow out of it.

good luck and keep us posted.

I've been thinking a lot about the good old days on the papaya farm because of this post. thanks!

I tried using bark potting material. I have never found a good one. I tired my Dragon Fruit Cacti in it. Someone at the local nursery swore by it. Bad idea. It does not hold enough nutrients, and moisture. My cacti was becoming deformed. I dug it up by hand and all the bark was stuck to the roots. I mean stuck like super glue. I remove probably 90% of the bark and repotted in Sunshine #4. The cactus then took off and grew like it should. I think maybe the bark could be affecting the tree. Try digging it up and repotting it.

Bark will use N to decompose robbing it from the plant.

It also wont have a neutral pH until it does.

I bet your pH is off and youre just having nutrient absorption problems.

mx5inpa said:
Bark will use N to decompose robbing it from the plant.

It also wont have a neutral pH until it does.

I bet your pH is off and youre just having nutrient absorption problems.
I agree with this. I will only use bark potting soil for top cover mulch from now on.

i would re-pot this plant, but I read online papayas hate to be transplanted.  I already did it once, and I'm suspecting this to be a reason.  But, I'm terrified to re potting this plant.  lol.

Back