• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds What's going on with my seedling? Can they be saved?

First and foremost, pictures --

http://imgur.com/a/FDN61

What you see there are two of my chocolate habanero seedlings. As you can see, the cotys on plant 1 are basically all white, but as of now they have yet to shrivel. Plant 2 is white and shriveling. These pictures were taken last night; as of this morning, plant 2 is drooping a little. 

Here is my general setup and the plant's proximity to my 350w LED light. There is a fan blowing from the left and, as of last night, I now have an emergency mylar blanket around the sides to help keep the light in. No nutrients have been used so far. All the other seedlings were treated exactly the same, so I am not quite sure what is going on. I've moved them away from the LED for now and just put them on south-facing windowsill, but that might be in vain.

Anyone have any idea on what the issue is? Light burn, overwatering, lack of nutrients? Out of my meager variety of peppers, these were the ones I was looking forward to the most, so I'd like to save them if at all possible.

fusedpro said:
First and foremost, pictures --

http://imgur.com/a/FDN61

What you see there are two of my chocolate habanero seedlings. As you can see, the cotys on plant 1 are basically all white, but as of now they have yet to shrivel. Plant 2 is white and shriveling. These pictures were taken last night; as of this morning, plant 2 is drooping a little. 

Here
 is my general setup and the plant's proximity to my 350w LED light. There is a fan blowing from the left and, as of last night, I now have an emergency mylar blanket around the sides to help keep the light in. No nutrients have been used so far. All the other seedlings were treated exactly the same, so I am not quite sure what is going on. I've moved them away from the LED for now and just put them on south-facing windowsill, but that might be in vain.

Anyone have any idea on what the issue is? Light burn, overwatering, lack of nutrients? Out of my meager variety of peppers, these were the ones I was looking forward to the most, so I'd like to save them if at all possible.
Added one img tag for you above.

Have you considered picking one of the Chocolate Habanero seedlings out and supplying it with more light rather than less to see how it responds?

The stretching out and the paleness to my eye is a sign of a lighting issue for those particular sprouts. 

Im guessing its a ph issue with that potting mix. And it looks like iron deficiency which I just had to deal with.

harry said:
Added one img tag for you above.

Have you considered picking one of the Chocolate Habanero seedlings out and supplying it with more light rather than less to see how it responds?

The stretching out and the paleness to my eye is a sign of a lighting issue for those particular sprouts. 

Thanks. As for the lighting issue, I have another choc. hab. seedling (well, two in one cup, the other seed decided to sprout) that hasn't been taken away from the light. This one looks to be doing fine, but I haven't checked today. I'll take a look at it when I get home from work tonight.

mx5inpa said:
Im guessing its a ph issue with that potting mix. And it looks like iron deficiency which I just had to deal with.

I understand that different plants = different needs, but I find it weird that the 5 other varieties are doing great (and from above, possibly even one of the same). I am hoping to get some sort of fertilizer today, though not sure what, might just end up being some tomato food depending on what is available.

mx5inpa said:
300w just a few inches over seedlings might just bleach them too.

I'm thinking it is either that or over-watering. Just strikes me odd, but my ~16 other seedlings did just fine under the same treatment.

That is a lot of light right on top of those baby plants too.  I would drop them to ~24 inches below the lights at least, and then double check your soil to ensure that it isnt burning them with excessive ph or fertilizer levels

Back