• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Whats happening???

JSKaiser

Banned
I was pulling some of my orange habs today, and when I went to cut some up with dinner, there was a few with the following inside. Anybody know what exactly this is?

BhutHarvest032.jpg

BhutHarvest034.jpg

+1 on the "nested pepper"

I have seen this in store bought orange habs, and fresnos. It is a pepper pod inside the pod. It is edible, just not something you see everyday.

would it possibly have matured inside its "parent"
Anybody know what causes the growth of the internal pepper? Like twins I guess right?

I had a cubanelle that literally split into two completely seperate pods at the base of the stemabout 1/4" down and had two distinct pods. I think they are fun. Does that symbolize a problem though? Or is it just a naturally occuring thing from time to time? Guess that means the plants are fertile.

Thats so weird!
Are you sure we can eat it?

Better poke it with a stick to make sure its dead :P

Just kidding, its just a freak pepper.
Eat at will.

Bleash

I used to get these all the time in my naga's, i used to pull them out and dry them. Then they became "naga bombs" to heat up anything like soup or ya mates beer ;)

only you brother nova...

agree on the "nested" pods

Where there's one there's usually more on the same plant which lead me to think that its maybe a stress related mutation

I call it mutant brain syndrome. Its not a tumor!
17780261168e1c8c0b60so9.jpg

so, does that mean the pepper is pregnant? congrats dad! ha .. thats interesting ive never seen that, and if I did I would freak out and think there was something seriously wrong, glad i read this post, thanks for sharing :o)

xo

I've seen this often in bell peppers, but with the bell peppers, I'm taking the stem, seeds, and veins out before chopping them up, so I've never worried about it.

Do you think it would effect (or affect??? too early to look it up in the thesaurus) the taste of a sauce if someone were using something like orange habs and they had those green mini-pods on the inside?

If using peppers like those in Potawie's post, I'd think it might give the sauce a green taste that might not be desired. Any comment, Potawie?

just in case you were thinking about doing a google image search for "parasitic twins" - don't. trust me on this.

if you took the seeds out of the inner ripe pods and germinated them, would the plant bear more of these types of pods?

It wasnt at the heat level of an orange hab, but I ripped em out and popped him in and it did have quite a good zing to it. more hab flavor less hab heat. They are like the b@&t@rd children of the chile world right. lol

I've had many of them and after figuring what they were don't give them a second thought anymore. Had two just this morning. I think they're kinda cute. :lol:

Back