• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What's on your grow list this spring?

A little early but since this is the dead of winter, I need something to look forward to. Here's what I plan on growing, expressed in terms of linear feet of garden space except where noted:

Tomatoes (Green Sausage, Red Zebra, Red Delicious, Golden Monarch, Beefsteak, Siletz, Verde Tomatillo) - 80 feet

Peppers: (Tabasco, Bhut Jolokia, Red Savina, Hungarian Hot Wax, Jalapeno, Habanero, Bell, Sweet Banana, Cayenne, 7-pot, Limon) - 80 feet (Note - does not include overwintered plants or plants in pots)

Green Beans: 35 feet (sow twice)

Peas: 35 feet

Basil: 30 feet

Carrots: 20 feet

Beets: 10 feet

Potatoes: 60 feet (plus a container or two!)

Broccoli: 30 feet

Lettuce: 40 sq. ft. (sow three-four times)

Cucumbers: 8 ft. (sow twice)

Onions: 12 ft.

Horseradish: 6 ft.

Cabbage: 8 ft.

Maybe another type or two, but only one or two plants, such as eggplant and squash.

I keep telling myself to be patient, wait until at least St. Patrick's Day to get to work in the garden. But to me, a garden is just like a wrapped gift setting under the tree without a tag that says it cannot be opened before Christmas!

Mike

Gotta go and rub it in that you got all that space while i'm stuck on the balcony.... :lol:

Looks like a mighty fine list sir, you're obligated to post pictures as progress goes. Good luck!

Lotsa peppers

Tomatoes (around 15 varieties)

Cucumbers (3 varieties)

zuccini

crooked neck squash

corn (PEACHES AND CREAM)

okra

green beans

potatoes

pak choy

swiss chard

brocoli

cabbage

peas

radish

lettuce

spinach

and more that I havent thought of yet

Jeez you guys must have huge yards and gardens!

I'll be growing a dozen or so peppers, 3-4 tomatoes, some lettuce and herbs, a few carrots, maybe a zucchini, some strawberries... going to try and sneak in some beans somewhere.

My yard is tiny. Postage stamp yard? Yah, that's me :(

Pequin

Fatalii

Trinidad Scorpion

7pod

Beaver Dam

Chocolate Habanero F1

Fish Pepper

Goat's Weed

Trinidad Perfume

Cumari

Lemon Drop

Bhut Jolokia

Naga Morich

Atomic Starfish

Where the hell am I going to grow all these on a balcony.....I'll have to finally get that grow light :) Plus I'll give a few away to friends like always, they end up giving me the peppers cause they're too hot anyways.

What ever shows up in the mail. :) hopefully somthing good, unlike last year all i got was anthrax :( some of you growers are really competative. J/K your all extremly nice and well manored.

I'm down to about 45 varieties of peppers, about 10 varieties of tomato, a few eggplant, lots of herbs and flowers, maybe some tiger melons, pickling cucumbers, and fennel, and I might buy some more strawberry plants for hanging baskets. I also have my overwintering lemon plant, bananas, gojiberry, dwarf pomegranate, ginkgo trees, and some others I'm trying to germinate.
I'm also thinking of starting a new garden for root crops like garlic, onions and radishes but I need to break up a lot of clay soil and add lots of sand so it may not happen this year.

POTAWIE said:
I also have my overwintering lemon plant, bananas, gojiberry, dwarf pomegranate, ginkgo trees, and some others I'm trying to germinate.

God, i LOVE goji berries. Too bad they're like $15/lb at the store :( Good thing they look just like dried cranberries which are like $4/lb though lol.

Any chance you could post some pics of these plants?

Txclosetgrower said:
Ever had beet greens? I think I like the leaves better than the root.
Ya mean like mangold? it's good...
Grew some Gojiberries last year, then found out they take years to fruit. :shocked:
Saved the extra seeds I had.

I will try to grow all of this on my balcony

Black Pearl
Bolivian Rainbow
Medusa
Purple Prince
Aussie Black
Lemon Drop
Datil
Habanero 'Red'
Habanero 'Caribbean Red'
Peito de Moca
Scotch Bonnet
Thai Hot
Turbo Pube
2 mystery peppers

I will probably sow some more when my new seeds arrive :)
Next to that some herbs and 16 different alpine strawberries

Vincent said:
I will try to grow all of this on my balcony

Black Pearl
Bolivian Rainbow
Medusa
Purple Prince
Aussie Black
Lemon Drop
Datil
Habanero 'Red'
Habanero 'Caribbean Red'
Peito de Moca
Scotch Bonnet
Thai Hot
Turbo Pube
2 mystery peppers

I will probably sow some more when my new seeds arrive :)
Next to that some herbs and 16 different alpine strawberries

Awesome! Good to see a fellow balcony grower growing way too many varieties like me. Good luck this year.

Txclosetgrower said:
God, i LOVE goji berries. Too bad they're like $15/lb at the store :( Good thing they look just like dried cranberries which are like $4/lb though lol.

Any chance you could post some pics of these plants?

I actually left my last plant outside this year and its burried in snow. I don't know if it will survive but its about three years old and has never really looked great, and never flowered:(

wordwiz said:
I like pickled beets but I'm the only one in the family that does.

Mike

I never had anything but pickled or canned, and I really didn't care for them. then I tried some that a friend of mine grilled and they were really good. I've tried a few things since then with grilling and stir frying them, and I'm really enjoying beets for the first time in my life.

So, I decided it was time to try and grow a few. I did pick a gold variety and a red bi-color because the purple poo is a little creepy.

I want to try to make those pickled turnip with beets that they use on Shawarmas and lebanese food. That along with a shawarma cone and a rotisserie:)

POTAWIE said:
I want to try to make those pickled turnip with beets that they use on Shawarmas and lebanese food. That along with a shawarma cone and a rotisserie:)
You sir, have good taste. I personally prefer my Shawarma with a bit of Tahini (can't say I don't adjust myself to my surrounding), Hummus, Skhug, Salad (chiles + tomatoes) and just a bit of Amba. :drooling:

Back