• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

What's the deal?

I went to two different hot shops today and most of what they have is novelty crap. You know "this-sauce-will-kick-you-in-the-nuts" hotsauce with goofy graphics that's undoubtedly garbage.

Now, The Chilli Emproium was cool and had some really good stuff in there, but it seemed that lots of good sauces were missing in favor of the novelty items. Defcon...you gotta get your sauce in there. I bet it'll do well.

The owner was there and I spoke with him about it. He says that the stuff sells mostly to tourists and the real chiliheads know what they're looking for.

My opinion is that if we could get our stuff in those stores, we could squash the novelty market and open everyone's eyes to what's really good sauce.

What say you?

Been there done that DevilDuck.
A couple years ago I pick up a couple of bottles that were real pretty and had bigtime claims of “hotter than hot” “hotter than hell” and “hottest sauce in the world XXXtreme heat”. Of course I bought the XXXtreme bottles, thinking that it might actually be able to kick my a**.
I was bummed, if it had peppers they must have been Bell. Of course I had dropped one of the bottles off at my neighbors and he’s calling me saying “this aint sh*t, I can handle this easily, you think that’s hot hillbilly, you’re a wimp.
I called the company and they said “well different people have different tolerances for heat.” Me….. yeah but your bottle says “hottest sauce in the world XXXtreme.
Him……just because it states that doesn’t mean it actually is.
Me……Well, words still mean things to me dickhead, oh I just said that, I didn’t actually mean it:shocked:
He ended up calling the local store and giving the ok for me to return my two opened bottles, that part was cool of em.
Lesson learned
Of course I’ve gotten more than even with “Chicken-Man” (my neighbor) with the help of numero uno, That to DEFCON.

I think there's always going to be a market for novelty sauces. If there wasn't CaJohn wouldn't make something called "Sir Fart A Lot". Non-chile heads find them amusing and enjoy sharing them. A lot of these brick and mortar hot sauce shops do depend on tourists to keep them open so they are going to stock the novelty sauces. They have to pay their rents.

One can only hope that by buying the novelty sauces they might accidentally try something really good and it will open their eyes and taste buds to what's really out there taste wise.

I've become sick of the line "Hottest Sauce in the World". Everyone and their mother uses that line. I've actually started to ignore slogans because of it.

Well, I understand that the stores need to pay rent, but don't you think that they'd be doing a huge service to everyone if there was more quality and less BS?

Kinda difficult to do R&D when there's so much garbage on the shelf.

I know I should jut order online from reputable people, but I want to examine the product..hold it in my hand, look at consistences, research the labels, ask the employees what they think and have heard from other customers.

I ended up buying two sauces.

Danny Cash - Radcal Heat (good, but could use more flavors in my opinion)

Marie Sharp's - Habenero Pepper Sauce, Firey Hot - Too much carrot flavor for me, but nice heat.

The only reason I even conidered the Marie Sharp's was some dude bought 2 cases on the spot. Live and learn, I guess.

You know, the Creator said it best..."This business is about to explode." When it does, I want to be there with a quality product to offer.

Just came home to find a package from the Creator.
Whhhhhooofrickinhhhoooooo
I've always sucked at math, so I have no problem stating that
3-1's, dont make a 3
:-)

Well, sorry about that guys. It is December, so they probably want to decrease their inventory as much as possible before the end of the year. That whole tax thing gets in the way sometmes. I'd try again in January.

I know if I get my ducks in a row (so to speak) I'm going to hit them up. Oh...Pat told me they did consignments too (shhhhh) but they don't do it for everyone.

DevilDuck said:
Well, I understand that the stores need to pay rent, but don't you think that they'd be doing a huge service to everyone if there was more quality and less BS?

Well, if the sauce has a name like "ASS REAPER" or something along those lines, you may want to give it a pass.

DevilDuck said:
Marie Sharp's - Habenero Pepper Sauce, Firey Hot - Too much carrot flavor for me, but nice heat.

The only reason I even conidered the Marie Sharp's was some dude bought 2 cases on the spot. Live and learn, I guess.

Marie Sharp's is my old favorite. If I could have only one hot sauce then Marie Sharp's would be my "desert island sauce" Love it.

chuk hell said:
One can only hope that by buying the novelty sauces they might accidentally try something really good and it will open their eyes and taste buds to what's really out there taste wise.

Bret at Jungle Jim's seems to be able to work both sides of this street pretty effectively. He strongly supports novelty labels, but was the first store to jump on our new gourmet Blazin'-Hot Sauce (aka: Stuff). He promotes it and says it is beginning to win favor (definitely not for my puss on the label!).

As a maker, I am in a fun and unique position. I sell the quality and I am not under pressure to have to crack some business nut in a hurry. I can take my sweet time and enjoy the ride. (You know the old rub: Success is the journey, not the... blah, blah, blah) - E.Z.

Back