• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

What's the most sauce you've cooked at once in your own kitchen?

I've been cranking out 20 bottles at a time in my kitchen! I've decided to step it up and I bought a bunch of larger cookware and am taking on 100 bottles this week.  They are all 5 oz bottles.  

I just took my normal recipe which yields 20 bottles and multiplied it by 5.  Hopefully it all works out! I can't imagine I will be able to do more than 100, I will have my hands full for sure.  

Soon I'll make the dive into renting commercial kitchens.

Anyways, curious - what is the largest batch you've made in one day in your own home?

Any tips for cooking such a large quantity at one time? Thanks!

Double boiler

Watch for sauce thickening the longer it's on the heat

Dont scale up the salt the same as the rest of the ingredients, go half the amount and add little bits of salt until its right.

100 bottles x 5 oz = 500 oz ÷ (128 oz per gallon) = 3.9 gallons per batch
That about right?

I cook salsa in a 10 litre pot and usually the batch size is around 5-6 litres. That makes 10-12 half-litre jars. Anything larger than a 10 litre pot and I wouldn't be able to fit it in my sink.

I couldn't really manage to do more than that at a time because my kitchen is small. Due to insufficient amount of countertop space, I need to be washing and drying and putting away dishes constantly. And that is in addition to the dishwasher running non-stop.

Today we made the third batch of salsa this autumn. That's a lot of damned salsa. Today's product was "Fruity Rojo Salsa" - red and green manzano rojos, bishop's crowns, persimmons, mangos, red grapefruit and raspberries all put through the slow juicer then we put the pulp in the blender. Finally, mixed the blended pulp back with the juice, added some lime juice and cooked it for about half an hour before jarring it up. Saved 1 litre of the non-blended rojo pulp to use for making meatloaf. We also used a few litres of it for making some sausage today - damn, that stuff is good.

salsalady said:
Double boiler

Watch for sauce thickening the longer it's on the heat

Dont scale up the salt the same as the rest of the ingredients, go half the amount and add little bits of salt until its right.

100 bottles x 5 oz = 500 oz ÷ (128 oz per gallon) = 3.9 gallons per batch
That about right?
yes ma'am.  I decided to make 2 seperate batches of 50.  It was just gonna be way too much work for myself to do it all in one run.  Worked out well!  Thanks for the hint with not scaling up the salt.

Back