• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What's with tepins?

Alright, I knew tepins were a slow variety but this is ridiculous. I planted them mid march with my other slower varieties and still have yet to see a ripe pod. My scorpions, yellow 7s and Nagas are almost all ripe and still not a ripe tepin. They are very slow to ripen. Its been a few months since they have been full grown.:shocked:

are you sure the birds aren't eating them as soon as they start turning red?....that's what happened to me until I put bird netting over them...

They are usually a late plant. Many sites say that you need to overwinter for a decent plant but I've had huge productive first year plants, you just need to start them early

I have 3 different !st year tepin plants and they seem to vary in the length of time it is taking them to ripen, but one gets alot more sun than the other two and they seem to ripen faster on that plant.

POTAWIE said:
They are usually a late plant. Many sites say that you need to overwinter for a decent plant but I've had huge productive first year plants, you just need to start them early

rds040800 said:
I have 3 different !st year tepin plants and they seem to vary in the length of time it is taking them to ripen, but one gets alot more sun than the other two and they seem to ripen faster on that plant.

Those are definitely a hot weather plant and need to be started very early and have heaps of sun. I overwintered my pequins last year and by the end of April started picking.

Salute',TB.

It is the only plant that I have absolutely no luck with personally. Fortunately, the misses was able to grow a few for me.

I don't know what you're doing, but this is a tepin at about 100 days......plenty of ripe fruit.

tepin5a.jpg

Mine are the same, I just sit and watch the green pods... day after day, now month after month and they look the same today as they did in July. Except now some of the leaves are yellowing and dropping. Just spent 15 minutes grooming my honey of aphids.
(this is the first year I have ever had them produce any pods and I have been planting them for 5 years or so.

Mine were slow growing at first, and went through a long period of flower drop and yellowing leaves. Then it got around 100+ everyday and they went crazy producing pods. They do seem to like the heat and alot of sun.

I'm having the same problem here in Ontario, Canada. I started mine in January and they've grown to be strong, healthy plants with heaps of pods. Except for the fact that they've been all green since they emerged in July. Every now and then I'll pinch a green one because I'm sick of waiting. It's definately an uncomfortable kind of burn. It attacks the whole back of my throat. But it's still fun. LOL.

I have noticed one thing with my tepins, and that is they don't seem to like to be watered as much as my other peppers. Mine get watered about every 3rd watering and since they have been doing good, but the ripening of pods seems to have stopped since the temps dropped into the 60's.

Back