What's with the DFH obsession?

Maybe I'm spoiled, because I live in a state with better, and cheaper craft brews. Maybe I'm just a snob. I just don't understand the hype behind Dogfishead. Some of their stuff is ok, like 60 Minute, but it's not the best IPA out there. It's not even in the top 50, in my opinion. The "off centered" beers, like Noble Rot, of Festina Peche, Black & Blue etc. are just plain gross. Not to mention overpriced.

I just don't get why this brewery is so popular...

Natural%20Light%2012pk%20Cans%20WEB.jpg

I just think Sam's beer is overrated. And he's a bit of a meathead. I can get a 12pack of local beer, that tastes better than DFH, for 2$ more than a 6pack of 60minute.

And as far as my local holes being "ain't pimp", look up The Worthy Burger, or Three Penny Taproom.

scratchzilla said:
I just think Sam's beer is overrated. And he's a bit of a meathead. I can get a 12pack of local beer, that tastes better than DFH, for 2$ more than a 6pack of 60minute.

And as far as my local holes being "ain't pimp", look up The Worthy Burger, or Three Penny Taproom.
Just busting your stones, to each their own when it comes to beer. I drink plenty of all kinds and 60 minute is not one of them. 

The problem with the high gravity beers is when the alcohol content gets above 9% or so, it gets really hard to mask the alcohol flavor and the sweetness from all that extra fermentable sugar.

I don't care what other people want to drink. It's all subjective anyway. Haven't seen the hype you mention except someone saying they live near the plant and can get whatever you want... but there's some Busch Light hype in the Cooking With Fire! forums here, maybe you should choose your battles more wisely :lol:

Oh I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just trying to wrap my head around why they're so popular.

I feel the same way about Magic Hat. They make mediocre beer, ad it's one of the top selling breweries in VT.

scratchzilla said:
Oh I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just trying to wrap my head around why they're so popular.
Because people like them.

scratchzilla said:
I feel the same way about Magic Hat. They make mediocre beer, ad it's one of the top selling breweries in VT.
If you think it is mediocrity, that is your opinion, but what surprises you about mediocrity selling? Have you heard of Budweiser, Justin Bieber, and McDonalds? Really now. Where do you ever see the best, handcrafted ANYTHING be a #1 seller?

I do not know of all these beers of which you speak.  I usually don't get the high alcohol beers just because I don't want to pay $7 or $8 for a 22oz beer.  Right now, Bells (Michigan) in probably my favorite brewery.  They have the best Pale ale I have ever had.  Their IPA and Porter are outstanding.  Denver Pale Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company is a close second as well as Founder's Red's Rye Pale Ale. 

And isn't it cooler you can like your little unknown craftbrews, and turn people onto them, instead of them being mainstream? Do you want that for the beers you like, and think are the very best handcrafted IPAs, etc?

In order win the sales game, products are often dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.  That's where most people live.

Luckily quality doesn't always suffer in the beer mainstream. I still drink Sierra Nevada Pale Ale like it's water. That's one of my "go to" beers.

The Hot Pepper said:
Luckily quality doesn't always suffer in the beer mainstream. I still drink Sierra Nevada Pale Ale like it's water. That's one of my "go to" beers.
And the fact that it is in cans and can go to the beach with me in Carolina is epic! Right now I am on a Shift can kick....

Back