What's with the DFH obsession?

That's the deal. I knock Pork Slaps back at least once a week. The Snapperhead IPA is also good.

I think maybe this was at least a little directed at me.  I happen to love DFH.  Sixty minute is so so to me.  90min is my go to IPA although I think Majaraja and Bells Hopslam are better.  I love World WIde Stout and 120 as a rare treat.  Chateau Jiahu is another of my favorites.  Their regular line is all pretty good, but not outstanding.  Again this is my opinion.  I also happen to love Rogue, Founders, Weyerbacher, Green Flash, Stone, Three Floyds and many many other craft breweries.  Don't hate on DFH because they market well.  Sam is a genius of a businessman and goes out of his way to help other up and coming breweries.  JMO.

wheebz said:
I am not touching this one with a 10 foot pole

You still have that stripper pole? Damn. Get to work.

scratchzilla said:
Maybe I'm spoiled, because I live in a state with better, and cheaper craft brews. Maybe I'm just a snob. I just don't understand the hype behind Dogfishead. Some of their stuff is ok, like 60 Minute, but it's not the best IPA out there. It's not even in the top 50, in my opinion. The "off centered" beers, like Noble Rot, of Festina Peche, Black & Blue etc. are just plain gross. Not to mention overpriced.

I just don't get why this brewery is so popular...
  I agree with you Zilla, but in this age of Craft Beer fanaticism Marketing is Key.    Sam or his marketing team has figured this out long ago and sales are not dwindling.    
I just laugh at his prices and buy something else.  

I bought  Stone's IPA once.....once.    @ $12.50 a six pack.... nah!  I'll stick to quality German beers for less. 

Scratch, I agree with most of your points here, but I gotta say Magic Hat was once a great brewery IMHO. I lived in VT '05-'09 and made many trips from Poultney to Burlington to fill growlers of Blind Faith, Circus Boy, Roxy Rolles, and many other classics that they no longer make on the way to shows at Higher Ground. #9 is insanely overrated, as are most (if not all) of their brews now. Like DFH, cool artwork seems to have helped their sales, and I respect them for getting where they've gotten. But I do agree with you that today the beer is, in general, mediocre.

The founder of Magic Hat started a new brewery in Shelburne called Fiddlehead. Their IPA is one of the best in the state. Right up there with Lawson's Double Sunshine.

scratchzilla said:
Maybe I'm spoiled, because I live in a state with better, and cheaper craft brews. Maybe I'm just a snob. I just don't understand the hype behind Dogfishead. Some of their stuff is ok, like 60 Minute, but it's not the best IPA out there. It's not even in the top 50, in my opinion. The "off centered" beers, like Noble Rot, of Festina Peche, Black & Blue etc. are just plain gross. Not to mention overpriced.

I just don't get why this brewery is so popular...

It's popular because they make a good beer and market it well.  I don't know why it's more expensive than other craft brews other than enough people are willing to pay for it.  As others have mentioned the 90 minute DIPA is superior to the 60 min and just because you don't love their beer doesn't mean others don't or shouldn't.  Hell the 6th highest ranked IPA on ratebeer is local to me but it's not even in my top 20 personal favorites... I really don't care for it.  And don't tell me your local breweries haven't produced/experimented some crap... it's the nature of the business and not every beer is going to be awesome and if it doesn't sell enough you can bet it won't be around long. 

In the end all that really matters is what you like.  And while the beer geek in me hopes this isn't the case, if you really love Old Milwaukee then that is the greatest beer in the world and it shouldn't matter if it's popular, trendy, cheap, or expensive... only that you love it. 

:cheers:

The Hot Pepper said:
I don't care what other people want to drink. It's all subjective anyway. Haven't seen the hype you mention except someone saying they live near the plant and can get whatever you want... but there's some Busch Light hype in the Cooking With Fire! forums here, maybe you should choose your battles more wisely :lol:
Busch Lite : probably the only beer I will flush down the sink. 

When I lived in the US I tried it. UGH !  Definitely the worst I ever tasted. 
Also, on a sidenote, if you brew "Belgian style" beers, with all that fruity, raspberry stuff and whatnot, please try to spell and pronounce the words correctly. 

And high yeast content "Belgian style" doubles or triples are NOT supposed to be poured into styrofoam cups. 

Just sayin'. 

Back