• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What's wrong with Jim?

I had this problem with my Big Jim last year. And it came back this year.

A couple peppers start growing on it and near the bottom (not all the way, but about 3/4 of the way down from the stem) a brown spot develops. It gets larger, kind of long. The brown area gets weak, kind of squishy and thinner, eventually turning kind of white, but brown and eventually black around the edges. After a while, the entire pepper just dies and falls off the stem.

Last year, I cut off a few with the brown but it kept coming back. Finally, I just let it run its course and fall off on one and it never came back.

This year, I let one run its course. It died and fell off, but kept coming back on others. I think it's finally stopped, but I'm not certain. Does anyone know what this is or how I prevent/stop it?

Here's a photo of it from a week ago. Not the best photo, but it shows my problem somewhat. After I cut those off, it stopped. For now, at least.

BigJimDamage.jpg

Have you had your soil tested?
Some peppers (and tomatoes) are more sensitive to deficiencies than others.
calcium deficiencies will decimate paste tomatoes while leaving all other unaffected....just my 0.02

Haven't had anything tested at all. Last year's plant was in the ground while this year's is in a large pot with store-bought topsoil. Same problem both years. And it only affects my Big Jim-- nothing else.

My guess is BER (blossom end rot) which can be corrected by increasing the calcium in your growing medium.

willard3 said:
My guess is BER (blossom end rot) which can be corrected by increasing the calcium in your growing medium.

I'll 2nd that, I've been having the same problem with my early Nagas this year. It caused them to ripen very fast also. Cappy told me he had it with his Nagas as well and it just worked itself out. Over watering can also cause it.

Just for the record a month later, I fed it some epsom salts and some crushed up calcium antacid tablets. Problem disappeared! Thanks everyone!

Back