• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Whats wrong with my plants?

I got two plants that look unhappy. I don't know what it is. I don't see any insects or any other signs that there might be any. They were healthy when I bought them. I got them from a local nursery but I also have others from the same place and they are fine. I find it odd that its only these two plants which are the same variety. Its some hybrid, I think, called "sweet heat". I got them to please the few in the family who don't like a lot of heat. They continue to grow but all the new growth looks all wrinkled and curled. Any ideas what might be wrong?

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

did you fertilize recently?

the leaves are very dark green
do you think you may have used too much?
if so it could be fertilizer stress

just a guess

thanks your friend Joe

The leaves were that dark green when I bought them. I believe I did feed them a little a few weeks ago but also other plants got the same feeding and have had no problems. It was also an organic fertilizer called "medusas magic", 2-5-2, mixed as directed if that makes a difference. Who knows though, maybe these are more sensitive than other varieties as I have never seen these before. Hopefully that is all that it is and they will pull out of their funk. Thanks for your input Joe.

I agree with ajijoe. Them leaves are seriously green. Looks like too much nitrogen. I'd flush the hell out of them pots.

Yea if you started out full strength you could have over done it. Start out 1/4 strength and work your way up to full strength.

Looks like broad mite to me. :(

Have a very close look at the damaged growth. To the naked eye, they will look like nothing more than very tiny white dust particles.

Some of my affected plants go very green also. Not sure if it is a symptom of broad mite toxicity or whether the buggers are attracted to high levels of N.

IMG_6696.jpg

IMG_6731.jpg

IMG_6733.jpg

EDIT:

Sounds as though N toxicity can cause similar looking damage. You might be lucky! (And my mite problem may not be as bad as it appears... I do have the buggers though)

Thanks Gassy! I think you nailed the problem. The 2nd & 3rd pics look exactly like what I have. Gonna go move the plants now. Any suggestions on how to treat the problem?

*Saw your edit on the N toxicity. Maybe I am lucky. I still moved them just in case. Only time will tell.

Sorry, mate, I had to run back to work before...

From what I do know, I would say it is definitely caused by toxicity of some kind... it's just a matter of figuring out what. Broad mite saliva is highly toxic to plants and will cause damage like that, but so will herbacides, etc, and apparently (as I just recently found out--goes to show just how little I know ;)) so might excess amounts of N. It is still something I have to research more but I'm wondering now if broad mite (I have confirmed their presence) are the sole culprits in my own garden... :think:

Personally, I wouldn't rule out either at this point until one or the other is confirmed. When looking for broad mite, like I said, look very closely for what appears to be very small particles of dust or very, very, very fine grains of salt:

IMG_3767.jpg

IMG_3797.jpg

Like I said too, I don't know if a dark green colour is a symptom of mite toxicity of whether the mite are attracted to high levels of N in a plant... but I've certainly noticed a connection.

Glad you nailed the problem! :dance: I knew it looked like some kind of pest. Eliminate all of them and isolate the affected plants until they are gone!

Any suggestions on how to treat the problem?

Just thinking... at this point, regardless of the cause, I would definitely treat against mite ASAP as a precaution. Broad mite is something you don't want to mess around with and better to be safe than sorry.

As far as treatment against broad mite goes, firstly I suggest avoiding chemicals or anything that works by poisoning. The buggers grow resistance like you wouldn't believe and you'll only end up making them stronger in the long run. I used some real heavy systemic stuff at one point which worked like a charm at first but then became complete and utterly useless just the very next season. Not only that but you will also kill the good guys in your garden as well.

I would start with something like an application of insecticidal soap (potassium soap) if you can get your hands on some and repeat a week or so later. Full coverage of plant is essential though as contact with the mite must be made for treatment to be successful. Don't spray when hot (so do it early morning or late afternoon) and maybe rinse off an hour or so later.

If it is broad mite, it sounds like they came in on the plants from the nursery... but I would still treat all plants as a precaution in the event that the mite may have already started spreading. Do not underestimate their ability to spread. They can be transmitted via wind and by hitching rides (your hands, clothes, insects... anything that makes contact with them).

And in the event that it may be a Nitrogen issue? Maybe a precautionary good ol' soil flushing too! :dance:

Good luck!

that thing looks like a broad mite that happen to me, you should remove all the infected areas right away, AND dont touch your other plants because they will scatter real fast, wash your hands first before touching healthy plants or you will regret it, i used azamax and sulfur powder used it every week till no signs of those buggers

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/29565-help-urgent-pls/page__hl__%2Burgent+%2Bplease+%2Bhelp

Back