• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health What's wrong with my plants?

Hello all,

My two 2 month old Trinidad Moruga Scorpion pepper plants are showing some issues with their leaves.

I feed them small amounts of organic fertilisers (blood meal, bone meal, potash) that I powdered and mixed in a 20-20-20 ratio with some lava dust for trace minerals. I keep them in a growing cabinet at 29 degrees Celsius and water them every 3 to 4 days.

Do they have a nutrient deficiency?

I believe the distortion is due to over fertilizing.  They also look quite big for the pots there in.  Can't tell for sure but those look like the 3 x 3 squares so there could be some root bound issues.  It is my guess that the 20-20-20 is just to much for them.  I would flush them with water for a few waterings.

Hopefully some others will have an opinion here soon.  Good Luck!

Mike

capsidadburn said:
I believe the distortion is due to over fertilizing.  They also look quite big for the pots there in.  Can't tell for sure but those look like the 3 x 3 squares so there could be some root bound issues.  It is my guess that the 20-20-20 is just to much for them.  I would flush them with water for a few waterings.

Hopefully some others will have an opinion here soon.  Good Luck!

Mike

The pots are 9x9x9cm. This is the biggest I can fit into my growing cabinet until I can transplant them to larger pots in a windowsill or on my balcony.

I had read somewhere that leaves turning purple was due to a P deficiency, but I'm a beginner with this stuff, so I'm not sure.
I hope I haven't over-fertilised them :(

Yup. I think it is to much fert. Even my big plant, never more than 16 to 18 on the N.

My young plants like that I might give 6-4-4 or 8-4-4 fert maybe once every 2 to 3 weeks. The other waterings are just water. Just curious on what the humidity is in there? I have also seen curl like that due to humidity issues. The leaves turning purple, I have only got from to much intensity of light. Light might be too close or too hot. Make sure you have a small fan at least moving some air around. Do you have a fan?

the purpling leaves could be sunburn... how much UV light do you have on them in the cabinet?

@McGuiver & Phil:

I have no idea what the humidity is, but when the light is on a 12V PC fan comes on every 3 to 5 minutes and blows for 20 seconds. This keeps the temp at 29C. I doubt the humidity is higher than 50%. I could rig up a small 12V PC fan to continuously circulate air within the cabinet.

I'm not sure how much UV light they're getting. I have a total of 96W T5HO @ 6500K sitting approximately 10-15cm above the plants. Could that cause sunburn?

Back