• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health What's wrong with the guy in front?

All three are PI355812. Same water, same nutes. Spent all day outside with other plants. Soil is neither overly damp nor dry. Leaves aren't yellow.

JNC84qW.jpg

He needs a shave?

There is natural variation in seed - not every progeny is going to be identical - unless of course you have line bred these plants for decades to ceate an entirely homogenous entity.  I see this type of thing quite often in open pollinated seed - some of my palnts are taller, some are pubescent, some bear very well, heck some have more purple on the nodes etc etc etc. 

So I would say he's just wanting to be different.  Bud Spencer lookalike.

You don't think something is up with the down turned leaves? This just happened over the past two days I think.

It is normal for plants to do that sometimes. I would guess it is drooping because it got a little too much sunlight or heat being outside. Even when they have plenty of water they get droopy when it is warm. Sometimes leaves droop because of too much water, but if you don't think that's it just let it have a few hours of dark and the leaves will likely come back up. 

Mallory said:
It is normal for plants to do that sometimes. I would guess it is drooping because it got a little too much sunlight or heat being outside. Even when they have plenty of water they get droopy when it is warm. Sometimes leaves droop because of too much water, but if you don't think that's it just let it have a few hours of dark and the leaves will likely come back up. 

Thanks. I was thinking that's what it was, but none of the other plants were doing this so I figured I'd ask. It's actually not even that warm here yet. I think the high today where I am at in Japan was like 68F. 

have you hit it with ferts yet? maybe hes sucked everything out of the mix already and wants some more food.

SciurusDoomus said:
Plants move a lot. Toward the end of the day they get kind of "sleepy."

Here's one of my Bhut Jolokias over the course of probably 15 hours. I forget how long I ran the timelapse.
 I second this. All of my Bhuts lower their leaves at the end of the day. They are always perked back up when I turn the lights back on in the morning.

Could be it's not getting enough water. While it's most noticeable between different varieties, I've found that even within the same variety some plants just uptake water at different rates than others - one watering schedule does not meet all needs. Also, note your plants are too young to need ferts yet. Finally, could be they're not really getting the same amount of sunlight while they're outside, if some are getting shaded by other plants or other object while others are not. If the one in front got a bit too much sun, for example, that could cause the drooping. Most often excess sun causes whitening of the leaves, but possibly it got just a tad too much without getting so much it whitened. Also note that it being too chilly will also cause leaves to droop. 

Sorry that's not a compact answer!

geeme said:
Could be it's not getting enough water. While it's most noticeable between different varieties, I've found that even within the same variety some plants just uptake water at different rates than others - one watering schedule does not meet all needs. Also, note your plants are too young to need ferts yet. Finally, could be they're not really getting the same amount of sunlight while they're outside, if some are getting shaded by other plants or other object while others are not. If the one in front got a bit too much sun, for example, that could cause the drooping. Most often excess sun causes whitening of the leaves, but possibly it got just a tad too much without getting so much it whitened. Also note that it being too chilly will also cause leaves to droop. 

Sorry that's not a compact answer!

Well at this point, I really dunno whats going on. But will try watering it tonight to see. Took the following photo at 630am this morning before I set it out side, and as of 1130am it is still the same. As for sun, they all get the same amount b/c they are all pretty much the same size. None of the leaves are whitening, so it's likely not excess sun.

qrzRdv2.jpg

The majority of my plants actually don't have their cotyledons anymore, so I have been feeding them half strength fertilizer each time I water. I am about to up it to full strength though (full strength is 20ml of liquid fert to 10L of water, which I gather is fairly mild).

SgtPeppers said:
 I second this. All of my Bhuts lower their leaves at the end of the day. They are always perked back up when I turn the lights back on in the morning.

That was awesome! Plants are so freaking cool.

OKGrowin said:
have you hit it with ferts yet? maybe hes sucked everything out of the mix already and wants some more food.

Yeah the plants get hit with ferts every other watering. I also only water twice a week.

My Annuums are doing something weird too. All of them have leaves folding up the center.

QcBhsrO.jpg

Do they have big enough holes in the bottom of those cups? I notice the same symptoms with mine being drainage issues.

Well, I am officially stumped. I considered lack of water last night (the pot was very light; i am using coir) and watered the little guy, but this morning he still looked the same. I wonder if this is a sign of over fertilization. This past weekend I watered all my plants using a 1.5 liter bottle of water + 2ml of liquid fert and 1ml of seaweed extract.

http://www.hydroponics.net/learn/nutrient_deficiencies.asp

In my opinion you need to lay back and let it correct itself. The plant looks pretty healthy otherwise, so why worry? Don't get me wrong, I understand very much what it's like to be an overly protective pepper papa, but peppers really thrive on neglect. It doesn't look sick, so don't worry. The link is just in case you don't have it. I honestly don't think it's a nute deficiency though.

I don't see any sun damage. It might have a little too much wind for its liking. I wouldn't worry much about it. I've had some drop to the point they collapsed due to wind (it's really windy here). I just take them inside and give them a few days.

Edit: If you over fertilized, you would probably see nute burn and/or leaves dropping. It's a healthy green. Your annuum might gotten a little too much sun. They will fold their leaves up like that to protect themselves. I wouldn't worry too much. You just don't want the leaves to get damaged. Acclimation is process.

filmost said:
Well, I am officially stumped. I considered lack of water last night (the pot was very light; i am using coir) and watered the little guy, but this morning he still looked the same. I wonder if this is a sign of over fertilization. This past weekend I watered all my plants using a 1.5 liter bottle of water + 2ml of liquid fert and 1ml of seaweed extract.

If that is the cause, it's very mild. That doesn't sound like enough to seriously harm your plant.

SciurusDoomus said:
http://www.hydroponics.net/learn/nutrient_deficiencies.asp

In my opinion you need to lay back and let it correct itself. The plant looks pretty healthy otherwise, so why worry? Don't get me wrong, I understand very much what it's like to be an overly protective pepper papa, but peppers really thrive on neglect. It doesn't look sick, so don't worry. The link is just in case you don't have it. I honestly don't think it's a nute deficiency though.

You know, you are right I am probably being a helicopter parent when I shouldn't be, lol. Thanks for the link!

Dulac said:
I don't see any sun damage. It might have a little too much wind for its liking. I wouldn't worry much about it. I've had some drop to the point they collapsed due to wind (it's really windy here). I just take them inside and give them a few days.

Edit: If you over fertilized, you would probably see nute burn and/or leaves dropping. It's a healthy green. Your annuum might gotten a little too much sun. They will fold their leaves up like that to protect themselves. I wouldn't worry too much. You just don't want the leaves to get damaged. Acclimation is process.

If that is the cause, it's very mild. That doesn't sound like enough to seriously harm your plant.

Yeah this guys was part of my first group of plants to be hardened off, so it's been outside for awhile now. Regarding sun, all the plants currently hangout on our deck which gets quite a bit of sun, probably already in the 6 hour range if not more, and it only gets longer from here on out. Perhaps I will move them all to a spot that get some shade to see what happens.

Thanks for all the replies!

NP, a little more shade time might be a good idea. I think you're doing well. Keep up the good work! 

Back