• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health What's wrong with this plant?

Hi everyone,

I have a Moruga Scorpion that I got from chileplants.com back in May as a plant.  It's recently developed some issues.  

First, it's been dropping leaves at a fairly decent rate (3-4 a day).  You can tell what leaves are going to drop because they turn yellow.  The plant itself is starting to look pretty bare.

Second, the alot of the remaining leaves have these brownish spots on or near the veins.

And third, new growth seems to be slightly distorted.

The plant has some unripe pods that seem to still be growing through all this though.

It's currently in a 5 gallon bucket with Fox Farms Happy Frog medium cut with Perlite.  I waited several weeks to fertilize since Happy Frog already has nutes in it.  I've fertilized twice with half strength Neptunes Fish and Seaweed fertlizer. 

Any ideas would be much appreciated!!

tNmGftj.jpg

Z4oWxv4.jpg

YKOg5gQ.jpg

pnvU0tS.jpg

My first thought with the yellowing / dropping leaves is overwatering. How often do you water? How dry do you let the soil get before watering? How many holes are in the bottom of the container and how big are they? Has it been getting overwatered by rain?
     Just some things to think about. Peppers typically don't like soggy soil. I let my containers get bone dry before watering some plants even wilt before they get watered. 

I put about about ten 3/8" holes in the bottom of the bucket.

I don't think I'm overwatering them.  We had a very rainy season so far but I've been bringing in the containers to the garage when rain is expected so I can control their watering closely.  I typically let them dry out and wait til I see signs of wilting before watering.  

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     My first thought with the yellowing / dropping leaves is overwatering. How often do you water? How dry do you let the soil get before watering? How many holes are in the bottom of the container and how big are they? Has it been getting overwatered by rain?
     Just some things to think about. Peppers typically don't like soggy soil. I let my containers get bone dry before watering some plants even wilt before they get watered. 
You reminded me I should water a bit less. Although my scotch bonnet wants a word with you for the no soggy soil thing.

On topic, check for aphids, then bacteria damage, then give them calcium and magic.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Oh, yeah. I forgot about the issue with PC95's distorted leaves. Could be aphids.

It likes wet soil?
Well, kinda. It gets bacteria leaf spot a bit too frequently because of the soil water content, but it refuses to fruit if the soil is anywhere near a reasonable level. I decide two months out of the year where I allow it to fruit, keep the antibacteria sprays on hand and keep it the hell away from everything else until I harvest, then it goes back to dry soil. 

I think your doing everything correct but yeah, cut back on water and ferts but I'd probably throw a little cal-mag in your next watering..maybe 25% strength.

I haven't been able able to find any aphids or other pests.

Any product recommendations for a possible bacterial issue? I have some neem oil on hand but I believe that's usually used for pests and not bacterial issues?

Is it much sulphur in your fertilizer? Have you used epsomsalt? I think the black spots at the veines on the last picture is from to much sulphur or other chemicals in the soil, i dont think its bacterial.

I did use epsom salt a couple times between feedings.  

If it is overfertlized, would flushing it out with water help?

PCharged95 said:
I put about about ten 3/8" holes in the bottom of the bucket.

I don't think I'm overwatering them.  We had a very rainy season so far but I've been bringing in the containers to the garage when rain is expected so I can control their watering closely.  I typically let them dry out and wait til I see signs of wilting before watering.  

This could be a case of under watering - I was doing and still for the most part waiting till wilt to water but have been noticing some of the same symptoms Leaves would get yellowing larger leaves would fall and almost a burn type of browning on the leaves also new leaf growth would come out in a cupped shape- I went back to a scheduled watering once a week and most of all the symptoms have went away.   

Another interesting observation, this particular plant is barely drinking water. It's pepper friends with the same setup (5 gallon bucket, full sun) are going through water every couple days. The sick plants bucket is staying pretty heavy even after 4 days in the sun.

Update:
I think it was a soil issue.  I used a cheapo pH tester I have and compared it to other healthy plants and the soil in this one was reading 4.5-5ish.

It ending up losing almost all it's leaves that had those spots.  I threw some limestone in there and put it in a spot that gets some relief from the sun and it seems to have bounced back.  The pods on it are ripening and the newer growth looks ok.  

Thanks to everyone for your help/ideas.

saq8MbV.jpg

Back