• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

What's Your Go to Hot Sauce?

Best I have found as far as go to and readily available

vwRTfCI.jpg

withywindle72 said:
Best I have found as far as go to and readily available

vwRTfCI.jpg

Dude! Seriously??? You know, there was a study not too long ago and they found unsafe levels of lead in the El Yuck-ateca sauce! Probably won't hurt you if you're a one drop at a time person, but when I ate that stuff, I could go through a bottle a week.

@ WickedMike- How can I refuse?  You're On!  Thanks~  Wanna trade? :dance:

+ to Scott Roberts also.  At one time I hade about 150 bottles of sauces etc in the fridge.  Had to do some serious house keeping!  I also realized some of them were 6-7 years old.....Yep...those had to go. 

I'll keep this to commercially available sauces aside from the more small/private label more gourmet types.

I could not agree more than with Wicked Mikes mention of Half Moon Tradings 'Iguana' Brand sauces. I recommend them all the time! First time I tried one (the XXX Habanero..not pictured below) I knew I found something great. Fantastic flavor, super fresh, great heat (on the hotter varieties) and no preservatives! Have tried them all but the Cayenne and Chipotle varieties. Really love the uber unique/bold 'Tropic Thunder' and the cucumber/cumin flavor of the 'Gold'. My go-to-everyday sauces...everyday. Awesome psychedelic labels to boot!

IMAG0056_zps87bc28f0.jpg

I also really enjoy Tropical Pepper Co's 'Naga Jalokia Ghost Pepper Sauce.'  It couldn't be more simple- Bhut's, garlic, vinegar and salt- pure Ghost flavor with an everyday/anytime heat- not a super blow-your-head-off Ghost sauce. They also make a Scorpion sauce I'm itchin' to try...they don't carry it locally, nor will the shelf stocker at the store ever seem to order it after multiple requests..grr.

And lastly in my everyday repertoire would usually be Texas Pete's 'Cha' Sriracha sauce. Some like Sriracha, some don't- the whole 'fad' Huy Fong/Rooster thing turns some people off..I just like the style & flavor...forget fads, and I'm certainly not no' stinkin' Hipster! (no offense to any Hipsters...lol) The Texas Pete's is a tad sweeter/less garlicky but I find it has more heat than Huy Fong. First bite I was not overly impressed (preconditioned to compare to Huy..) then I tried it warmed up on eggs..loved it ever since!  In the pic below I also included Organicville's Sky Valley Sriracha brand- they have actually won 1st place in a few Sriracha taste testings I have come across. It has a Red Jalapeno base with lot's of Cayenne powder in the mix (not hot however)- the powder gives it a  very fine 'grainy' texture unlike any others. It's available nationwide I believe in health/organic type stores in case some may want to look for it.

IMAG0063_zpsad367820.jpg

BTW..Anyone here ever tried 'Yellowbird' sauce from Austin TX (Yellow Habanero Sriracha style)?!?!  It looks and sounds really good! Am hungering to try this as well...

Scoville DeVille said:

Dude! Seriously??? You know, there was a study not too long ago and they found unsafe levels of lead in the El Yuck-ateca sauce! Probably won't hurt you if you're a one drop at a time person, but when I ate that stuff, I could go through a bottle a week.
never heard that

I do make my own habanero sauce as a backup, but recently I've started trying a lot of the different artisnal brands.. recent favs are lucky dog(black label), and pexpeppers(atom splitter). Honestly there's so many choices I can't say I have just one, as it depends on the food I'm eating/current mood.

Give a look to La Familia Salsa Company out of Rockport, tx. Great variety, their roasted red scorpion is my all time favorite. Also, Mrs. Renfros ghost pepper queso is great on pretty much anything

+1 on la familia, my wife picked up a bottle of the xx red scorpion and she actually liked it. She's not a spicy food person at all, but I loved it as well cause it had a nice sneaky heat and delicious flavor. Mmmmm

My wife is extremely intolerant of heat but loves the Smokey flavor of the roasted red scorpion. She can still only handle a dab, but its a start. I agree on the sneaky heat. First time I tried it I dipped a chip in and loved the flavor. So I decided to scoop some with the chip. Same flavor, and then it hit me

I have to admit though, I will sometimes still reach for my cholula or huy fong sriracha, but nowadays it's more like a base for some strange concoction I'm brewing up. Never really cared for the McIlhenny tabasco, and I've only tried maybe 10 or so varieties of hot sauce and most were pretty standard stuff. The central market in Houston where my wife got the la familia also had another very tasty salsa with habs but I can't remember what it was, sweet with a lower heat.

I think central market actually makes a peach hab or mango hab salsa that's really good with just a little kick. Wish we had a central market in corpus, makes me miss austin

Honestly I really like my own hot sauce allot and I'm selling it at work to co-workers and their friends. I'm hoping next year to get licensed and start bottling it on a small scale in the Modesto area. I know a local grocery chain, a few nice fruit stands and restaurants in the area. Besides that I really like Lucky Dog Hot Sauce which has a great flavor profile. For me a good sauce must have first and foremost a great flavor profile and the heat is secondary. Heat without a good flavor does nothing for me. 

Heartbreaking Dawn's 1498 Cauterizer has been flowin' hard the last couple months.

But in between have been my throwback standards.

Huy Fong Sriracha and Chile Garlic.

texas blues said:
Heartbreaking Dawn's 1498 Cauterizer has been flowin' hard the last couple months.

But in between have been my throwback standards.

Huy Fong Sriracha and Chile Garlic.

HBD 1498 is amazing......as is LDHS (Lucky Dog) Extra Hot!!!

Hell....I have so damned many to try that I'll be 115 years old before I get through them all!

(....like that's a bad thing!)

Back