• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

When can I put these in dirt?

These are the cuttings I took off of my Red Savina back on the 6th of June. They are finally developing some roots. When can I put them in some dirt?

IMG_5513cre.jpg

IMG_5510re.jpg

Thanks gang.

If you put those in dirt now, you MUST put plastic over them or they WILL wilt and die.

I take a ball of potting soil, sterlize it in the microwave, let it cool then place it in the center of a napkin and place the stem in the middle, wrap the napkin around like a ball and rubber band or twist tie around the top near the stem, give it a little spray of water so it's moist but not soaking wet, place the whole thing in an air tight, clear container and place it under the lights.

When you see roots poking out of the ball, you can put the whole thing in a pot or whatever you like.

Thanks RichardK. Will it be OK to keep doing what I have been? Changing water every two days, misting daily and once ever few days mist it with some real weak MG solution? Or will I get better root growth if I go your way?

I am interested in your success with this. I have not yet tried to do cuttings with peppers. But it looks like you're on the right track.

I do know with my other cuttings I've done successfully (hibiscus and hydrangea) that I've used roottone on tender growth and placed the cuttings in a very shady area and been patient....

patrick said:
Thanks RichardK. Will it be OK to keep doing what I have been? Changing water every two days, misting daily and once ever few days mist it with some real weak MG solution? Or will I get better root growth if I go your way?

My experience with just in water is, even after frequent changes, the stem will rot, the root(s) will die and the plant will suffer irreversible damage. So unless you have a hydro like setup, with pleanty of oxygen and nutrients, you might be walking toward a cliff in respect to the cuttings living or not.

I dont use the cup of water method anymore, I alwayse cut mine at an angle, dip in rooting powder or superthrive (contains rooting hormones) and then place in a sterile growing medium like sterlized potting soil, and wrap in a biodegradable material (like a napkin or papertowel) to hold the soil firmly against the cut end of the stem.

And then, even with tiny roots, you must still provide the cutting a humid enviorment (a clear, air tight container) because the rate it takes in water from the stem or small roots is not fast enough to replace the water lost due to evaporation.

Once the cutting is stable, and it has adaquate light, it will put most of it's effort into growing new roots (thats the highest priority for any plant with root damage, or lack thereof).

Good luck :)

Figures it couldn't be that easy.

I had the top ten inches of another pepper plant that was snapped by the wind doing the water thing too. It grew 8-10 roots that got about two inches long when I put it in the dirt. So far so good with it.

If you're pretty sure that keeping them in water isn't going to do the job then I'll try something else. Thanks for the help.

Same plant as the one in the vertical picture above three days later.

IMG_5529acre.jpg

I'm thinking a couple more days and it's going into the dirt. I'll keep the soil moist and mist it several times a day.

Would this be considered a normal growth rate for the roots?

Thanks.

Those roots will not be able to supply the plant enough water if you do not put some form of plastic over the plant.

If you dont do this, it will wilt and it will die.

RichardK said:
Those roots will not be able to supply the plant enough water if you do not put some form of plastic over the plant.

If you dont do this, it will wilt and it will die.

100% Guaranteed?

patrick said:
100% Guaranteed?

Or your money back!

Anyway, it's up to you, but if the plant starts wilting, dont assume it will go away when the roots get bigger.

Trying to help you here :)

Thanks Richard. Don't mean to sound like I'm being a smartbutt. I do appreciate your advice.

My reason for hesitation on following your advice is I've done that a couple of times before, not the dirt/paper towel thing but the airtight moisture thing and it failed each time miserably. The cut end of the stalk was dipped in rooting hormone and put in moist coco coir. Each time the stalks just shriveled up and died.

Watching these roots develop like they are I just don't want to mess with success. Call me paranoid I guess.

Thanks again for sticking with me on this.

patrick said:
Thanks Richard. Don't mean to sound like I'm being a smartbutt. I do appreciate your advice.

My reason for hesitation on following your advice is I've done that a couple of times before, not the dirt/paper towel thing but the airtight moisture thing and it failed each time miserably. The cut end of the stalk was dipped in rooting hormone and put in moist coco coir. Each time the stalks just shriveled up and died.

Watching these roots develop like they are I just don't want to mess with success. Call me paranoid I guess.

Thanks again for sticking with me on this.

One other thing, just make sure to open the container every once and a while and breath inside it, because the cutting will eat up all the CO2 inside leaving only O2 and other useless gasses.

I have had such terrible results with roottone, that I always recommend against it. My cuttings dipped in roottone almost always rot and die. However, my success with placing cutings in H2O is greater than 80%. As I stated in my postings in the other thread, if cuttings are placed in H20, it is important to remove all of the big/main leaves, because they require more energy to sustain than the cuttings can provide, AND it's imperative to change the water at least every other day. RichardK is right, that if placed into water, and left alone, the cuttings will rot. But if the water is changed frequently, water from the tap comes out aerated, and the stems are in an oxygen rich solution. I also recommended in my postings, that if you see evidence of rotting at the base of the cutting, it is important to cut or scrape it away.

Another Update on Root Growth

Here's another photo of my root growing project after one week. I've never done this before so I don't know if the plant is doing well or not. I'll need some professional opinions. It sure looks like they are growing at a good pace.

Another couple of pics, exactly one week from the first pictures:

IMG_5567rre.jpg

IMG_5570re.jpg

I'm using water from my reverse osmosis (RO) faucet, misting daily and one misting of a weak MG solution. I have given the water a shot of Epsom salt/worm castings tea. Could the roots be getting an extra dose of oxygen with the RO water?

Thanks gang.

I would hook-up an airpump and stone, like my aeroponic set-up! Let it sit in the water right under the roots! That plant will grow roots like crazy...:shocked:

RichardK said:
looking good, almost ready to be in soil all by itself without any protective hood.

Man have I been waiting to read that!! Thanks RichardK

Joe and SS thanks for the kind words gents.

Back