• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When do I pick these?

These are some peppers called Black Mayan. They have been pretty much this size for a while now. They are hard to the touch, not resilient. Some have started to turn red. When is the proper time to collect them from the plant?

Your help appreciated!

I recommend that you do a taste test of your own, to see if you prefer the taste of them while green or when fully ripe. Some people prefer certain types when unripe, but that is an entirely individual thing. As a good example, some people prefer green jalapenos. I love jalapeno flavor, green or ripe, but I particularly enjoy them when ripe. But you notice that most jalapenos sold commercially in the US are green. That's either an indicator that commercial producers aren't willing to wait until ripe or that the highest demand is for unripe. I grow my own since I prefer ripe.

red is soft and sweet, thats when i like them. if i want green jals i can just get them super cheap from supermarket. pick em whenever though.

people have told me to pick peppers when the stem snaps off with ease when you bend it. I find this very helpful, but sometimes the stem is thick like on my mini choco bells and that never happens, so I suppose it also depends on that. Plus, what everyone is saying above about personal preference regarding flavor and stage

Great... I did not know that you could pick them when green. So I can have a 3 color pepper salad using the peppers from t he same plant!

Appreciate the info!

FredD

geeme said:
I recommend that you do a taste test of your own, to see if you prefer the taste of them while green or when fully ripe. Some people prefer certain types when unripe, but that is an entirely individual thing. As a good example, some people prefer green jalapenos. I love jalapeno flavor, green or ripe, but I particularly enjoy them when ripe. But you notice that most jalapenos sold commercially in the US are green. That's either an indicator that commercial producers aren't willing to wait until ripe or that the highest demand is for unripe. I grow my own since I prefer ripe.
I like my jals ripe as well. I saw them at my local store ripe for $10.99 a lb while the green ones were $1.99 a lb. Yikes. I do the same with serranos.

Back