• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

when do pumpkins...

HotPeppas

Banned
Flowers usually get pollinated? My squash have squash. My cantelope have cantelope...

No pumpkins! I hope its not from no beneficial pollinators around

With pumpkins you have about a 4-6 hour window for pollination or thereabouts -- Normally you'll find that you get male flowers first for a week or more and then the Female will show up ( you can tell the difference as there is a small pumpkin at the base of the flower on the females) -- the female flower will normally open around 7-8 am. on the day it is ready to pollinate (you should be able to tell the day before as the flower will swell up and turn yellow ) so you'll need to have male flowers that are also ready that morning and then either let the bees do their thing or assist by using a q-tip or small artist brush to take the pollen from the male flower and place it on the Female. (if you have more than one male flower use several to increase the chances of success) - also temps above 90 degrees or so can keep them from taking so many growers will use 2 liter bottles of frozen water and some sort of shade cover to place near the female to keep the temp a bit lower around the pumpkin the day of pollination in hot weather.

Thanks! But my flowers look more orangish

Well I am partially color blind so yellow - orange looks about the same :rofl: . If your getting female flowers it shouldn't be long before you get some to take.

Pumpkin-flower.jpg

Back