• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

When do you pull horseradish?

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
I forgot I planted some in February and just saw them yesterday...when and how do I harvest them?...just pull up the roots?

AJ,

I planted some last fall and when I harvested a couple of plants this year, I had enough to make about two tablespoons. They were not the largest plants, though they were decent size. I would wait another year unless the plant is quite large and you have others ready to grow.

I was told you need to wait until after a hard freeze or after a spring thaw.

I also used a food processor to chop/dice/grind it up. Let it set for close to three minutes before adding vinegar. Real nice taste but not as hot as I thought it might be, though that may be because the roots were so small.

If Pepperfever does not join in, PM him/her. She/He is the one who sent me the roots to plant last year. (Sorry J - if your name was Paul or Tom I would know your gender, of feel comfortable guessing!)

Mike

I wait until it's 12-18 months old.
I harvest after the second hard frost, or when growth is just beginning to show in very early spring.
The cut off crown, tip (bottom end) and and small side shoots can be be replanted.

~DiggingDog

Hey AJ i have heard that actually pulling them out can break them, you have to dig em up. Just my 0.02 :)

thanks for the info...I will wait until the spring to dig them up. I hope they will be hot. Wife and I love horseradish.

Mike, I'm definitely female and glad to hear you got a little bit of horseradish. They will get bigger as they age, those were pretty small that I sent to you. Even a little piece left in the ground will grow more so in a few years you will have plenty. I also think they get stronger with age. Usually the growers advise that you grind horseradish outside due to the smell. AJ, I'd wait a while to dig yours up, a good hard freeze adds to the flavor. Horseradish takes a bit of time but the end result is that you will never have to buy it again once it gets to producing. Roots can be kept in the freezer to be ground fresh as needed.

thanks Jackie...of all things...the weatherman lied (no Sh** Sherlock)...it is snowing and 33 degrees right now...if I don't get my peppers picked, I am going to lose my whole crop...

Hey AJ Harvest when the greens die off and the plant is dormant. I have a couple of plants that are about 5 years old that I dig up and cut runners off the main root. If I dig up the entire root, I'd have enought to make literally 10 pounds +. I usually make about a pound or so every year.

cool Dyce...I will do that...

damn, its cold outside and I think I got a touch of frostbite...fingertips are white...I just used some tepid water to warm them up and they are back to normal now...as you guys can tell, I am not a cold weather person...I had rather it be 100F than 33F

AlabamaJack said:
thanks Jackie...of all things...the weatherman lied (no Sh** Sherlock)...it is snowing and 33 degrees right now...if I don't get my peppers picked, I am going to lose my whole crop...

Sounds like another round of "bumper cars" on I-820 AJ. Stay home if 'ya can.

P.S. Keep that Sh** down there if at all possible. After all, you don't get to see it all that often!:lol:

Jackie,

I intentionally left the largest plants in the ground. I figure I can get a small tub from the caterer to last throughout the winter than dig another root in the spring. By next winter, I should have a bunch or roots!

It took a while for the smaller pieces to come through the dirt but in the end, every one did.

Mike

Back