• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds When do you start your seeds?

Just curious when everyone else starts their seeds for the year. This year I started all my seeds February 15th. I wasn't able to get plants in the ground until the end of June.

Next season I won't have to build gardens and I have a cold frame to hopefully get my plants planted at end of April vs normal end of May plant out. Would I be too early if I plant my peppers right after Christmas?

I always like Christmas time.

10841136_10203158090021685_1218952101_n_zps2397b8fb.jpg

Being in the Great white north, I would start them about now. It really depends on your accommodations, what you are growing and how much.

I start mine end of Feb in Canada under lights and heat mat.....they do grow fast so they get topped once and then I try and harden off two weeks before the May long weekend when I plant.

I plan to start seed sometime next month. my seed starts will be limited this year if all goes well. I am attempting to holdover a significant part of my "16" grow. But I have some seed on the way that are GOLD and will get their own little corner.

Thank You everyone for the replies. I think I will go for the earlier start then. I'm just curious how the plant maturity thing works exactly. If I plant them earlier but have to top them and possibly trim a bit to keep them within my grow space, will the plant benefit more from being a couple months "older". Would the older plant take off better once it is in the ground, or is it all a matter of how big the plants are when they go in the ground? The whole days to harvest/ maturity thing seems deceiving to me when you look at seed packets. Everything seems to be at least twice as long or more than what is put on the package.

by tradition, i always start xmas day, dec 25. turkeys cooking, kids are playing with their new gifts, wife normally is on the phone with family and nobody is bothering daddy.

....... actually i soak the seeds xmas eve for sowing xmas day.

annuums i can start in march but i like to get everything done in one shot and that gives me time to watch sites like Pepperlover to see if anything new has come along and triggers a passion to buy.

i tend to over sow but there are years when overwinter kill takes too many plants and in May i don't want to get stuck wishing i had planted some favourites sooner.

Back