• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests when growing Habaneros/Scotch Bonet indoor, what bugs to watch for?

I was just wondering what bugs I would have to watch for... are some varieties of peppers more susceptible to one bug over another?

I have a south/south-west facing top floor condo with a big bay window so I pretty much have sun all day and the place gets rather warm.

you may not have anything to worry about with plants being inside all the time.

my habaneros are aphid magnets but currently i have very few aphids as i have killed them off but there are always eggs in the soil. my scotch bonnets are untouched, don't know why as they sit beside one another. my plants live outside in containers during the summer months then inside the rest of the time. trounce does a good job in controlling aphids.

i do have these little black flying creatures zipping around, they don't appear to harm the plants but nest in the soil, i kill about 15 per day.

good luck.

I shouldn't have an issue with aphids unless I put them outside in the summer.... I was thinking more along the lines of spider mites or some of the other common house plant bugs...

I've pretty much got all my houseplants so they are resistant to pests by nature... I'm sure stuff is there but they don't hurt the plant unless I neglect it and over or underwater them... I had some palms that I got from the garden center but I couldn't keep spider mite off them regardless of how many mistings or natural or chemical sprays or things in the soil I used... so I just got rid of them... I have had Basil a couple times and couldn't keep spidermite off it either so I just don't have it in the house anymore.

I have one other plant tropical plant and a Stephanotis vine that has something on it.. probably another type of mite that I can't even see that keeps coming back it leaves little black specks on the leaves kind of leaves a scar on the leaf too but doesn't kill it like spidermites do... it must be in the soil or somewhere in the condo as I can take the plants into a spare bathroom and shower them daily, remove all the areas infected, followed by chemical in the soil and spray... but it comes back... no other plants get it though... only seems to be on that tropical plant and a Stephanotis vine I have...but it apparently does nothing to the vine.. perhaps because it sheds leaves before the bug could be a problem I guess...

Perhaps I should study up on what indoor pests could be a problem for peppers...

you may not have anything to worry about with plants being inside all the time.

my habaneros are aphid magnets but currently i have very few aphids as i have killed them off but there are always eggs in the soil. my scotch bonnets are untouched, don't know why as they sit beside one another. my plants live outside in containers during the summer months then inside the rest of the time. trounce does a good job in controlling aphids.

i do have these little black flying creatures zipping around, they don't appear to harm the plants but nest in the soil, i kill about 15 per day.

good luck.

agree with Potawie on the what to watch for list...

however, IMO...if you grow peppers inside, you WILL get aphids eventually...where do they come from?...lord only knows...

during my inside grow season, I don't let anyone in my growrage other than the wife...all someone has to do is walk close to plants that have aphids and the aphids will transfer...

I highly recommend prepping the area with a pretty strong pesticide (of your choice) before planting the first seed...I wash down my whole growrage each year before planting...

Back