• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

When/How to pick Onions?

So, I planted some red onion bulbs this spring. It appears that a few of the bulbs are starting to shoot up the "flower" stalks. From everything I have read, you should pick the onion when this happens. Well, after digging up a couple onions, they are not much bigger than the bulbs that were planted.

Is there a reason for this? Am I doing something wrong or do I need to wait longer?

What would happen if you cut the flower off and left it ? I started mine from seed and it looks like they are doing well based on having to recover the tops every so often they havent shot a flower but I thought when then greens started to dry it was time to pick ?

I have at least one or two onions that, for the most part, appear to be fairly dry, brown, brittle. They still don't seem any bigger :(.

Interesting -- this is my first year with onions I thought it would be cool to go them to go with the rest of the salsa mix Im growing -

Back