• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping When is an OK time to buy seeds for next year?

Hey everyone.

I'm not even finished picking my peppers for this season but I'm chomping at the bit for next year already and I'm going to start early.

I'm in Nova Scotia and it's starting to get cool already and I don't know how long my plants are going to last. I started very late this year (June ish) and I'm still waiting for my first major harvest to fully ripen.

However, for next year I will be starting seeds and growing seedlings indoors in December and January so they'll be rocking by the time they can go outside.

Is it too early to start shopping for seeds or does it even matter if I get last year's seeds or seeds from this year's crops?

I have a shopping cart on tomatogrowers.com ready to go. :)

Never too early as far as i am concerned. Seeds will last a very long time if they are stored in a cool dark place. You could also get some seeds from your best looking pods and keep them for next year if you like the variety.

I say start asap so that you have heaps of time to plan for the amount of plants that you will be growing.

And Nova Scotia, i like that name for some reason :whistle:

Its never too early to shop for seeds but many seed sellers/traders won't have their 2010 seeds ready for about another month or two. I know I(and others) don't really like thinking about seeds until I have my harvests/processing under control, there is lots of time during winter for seeds.
Sorry to those I promised seeds, I'm really in slow motion this time of year;)

Rob,

It's also never too early to swap seeds with ePals all over the world. Make a list of what you have and make them available in the swap section and I'm sure someone will be keen to deal. :-)

Yes, seed swapping is a great idea. I only have a small number of plants and I've done nothing to isolate them so got knows what would come from the seeds. They are all capsicum annuum varieties so they'de likely grow into something.

Planning bigger and better things for 2010 season. :)

Yeah ever since i started growing earlier this year I've been buying. It's like a thing with me. It's weird. I know i won't plant most of them, it's like i'm trying to get as many rare strains as possible. i'm sick.

Back