• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water When is it safe to use tap water with chlorine?

I have been letting the chlorine from my tap water evaporate but wondered when is it safe to use straight tap water with the chlorine in it?

chillilover said:
I have been letting the chlorine from my tap water evaporate but wondered when is it safe to use straight tap water with the chlorine in it?

I dont know how soon. I always use tap water, but I let it stand with lid off for two days before using it...

I've heard it evaporates in minutes, but I don't have the urge to go google it.

Not sure how bad your water is in Canada, but in California more so Southern California the water can be almost horrible due to the high demand. That's why most people either buy bottled water or have some type of water filter in their home. I drink bottled water and have an R/O filter that I hooked up in the kitchen in case I need water for cooking.

Chlorine is typically no longer used to treat water because it breaks down quickly and can combine with certain organics (that may or may not be present in your water) forming trihalomethanes, a family of carcinogens. The new chemical used is called Chloramines, a compound containing both chlorine and ammonia, is much more stable than chlorine. If your water company has switched over to using Chloramines the chlorine portion will break down in 24 hours or less, but you will still have ammonia in your water that is toxic to root hairs and will stunt growth of a seedling.

In addition to Chloramines your water company may have added chemicals to make the water more acidic because lead dissolves less readily in alkaline water. In addition the water could contain nitrates, phosphates, iron and can even be reclaimed water that contains large TDS levels that cause calcium and salt build ups.

If you must use tap water pick up a bottle of Amquel from your local pet store. This will instantly detoxify all ammonia, chlorine, and chloramines in a matter of minutes and only requires a few drops per gallon so you no longer have to sit and wait to use your water.

I have been using it since last year, I have four large water jugs where they sit around most of the time, but I have watered just straight tap water when they were empty and a plant needed a good soaking.

Didnt hurt them a bit.

thehotpepper.com said:
I've heard it evaporates in minutes, but I don't have the urge to go google it.

In that case, let me HELP

:lol: I've never really worried about tap water. In fact, I water my plants in the kitchen sink because I get tired of filling the water jug 18x's

Here, we have perfectly good Aquifer water, but the city chlorinates it anyways. :(

I try to let it sit in a pitcher in fridge for drinking, but the plants don't seen to care much.

Lke the other poster said, there may be more to be worried about than chlorine. Every location is different. fill up a saucer with water straight from the tap, and let it sit until it evaporates. Look to see if there's much sediment. If in doubt, buy a filter system, or collect rain water.

I think the misconception is to let water sit and it will be fine. The problem is most large cities don't use chlorine as it's only source to treat water and my city hasn't used chlorine ONLY in over 30 years. So letting it sit WILL get rid of the chlorine, but what about the more toxic chemicals?

Although these chemicals will probably not kill a plant I'm sure it's reducing growth and fruit production. How much? who knows, but for me I'd rather spend the $3.00 a bottle to remove that crap wouldn't you?

Back