• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

When should I expect the first true leaves?

wait until a few true leaves pop up.. and even then, do it like.. every other watering and keep an eye on them.. and I would start with like 1/8, then go from there.. like I have some 10-10-10 indoor MG fert that I got a while back, and it says use 7 drops per plant per liter of water.. so I started using 1 drop and now I use 2 drops every other watering.. and I also use something close to... 1/6th or something like that of Cal-Mag solution in there.. I take a straw and just dip it in so the straw is filled up about 1/2inch... working pretty well so far, but I don't plan on going any higher till they go into actual party cups or you next larger containers.

I made a trip to the Home Depot today, and I picked up some gardening supplies.

I didn't understand all of the specifications that were being recommended to me, so here is what I got:

Ecosmart daylight compact fluorescent bulds (they are the corkscrew looking type)
- 100 watt
- 1750 lumens
- I wasn't sure what was meant by people who kept saying 6500k+, but these bulbs say 5000k on them. It's the highest number of bulb I could find.

Before I unwrap them, are these OK?

I also picked up an additional 150W clip-on light fixture, and another seed-starting pellet tray (yeah.. I got lots of seed and enthusiasm!!! :)

I also got a couple more types of seeds. Large Cherry hot peppers, since I didn't have those yet, and Burpee Kung Pao Hybrids. Anyone ever hear of those? They look similar to a cayenne or a chilata. I hope they have some piquance to them! :scared:

yeah, that is good, I would go and get another CFL and fixture, but they do have 6,500k light bulbs (they are daylight bulbs, but you have to look around for the 6,500k ones... the ones I saw were small compact ones, I forgot who makes them, but they are there.. they might be the smaller "instant on" ones I think.. but 5,000 is ok, with that and a 6,500k light, you should be all set for 1 tray.. if you start another tray, get another 2 bulbs.. it will keep your plants from trying to lean over to bent towards the light..

like I said I have 3 for the ones on my top shelf, and 4 on the bottom... here this will be easier, I will just show you my setup for seedlings.. you don't need the 4 CFLs, I just was planning on keeping them in the shelf for a while, but it turns out I don't need to.. but anyways
IMG_0150.jpg

Thank you Maxsack. I actually have two of the 5000k bulbs for one tray, but I will pick up another if you think I need it.

My setup looks pretty much like yours (although not as professional looking), so I feel better I am on the right track.

I'll take a picture and upload it. What site do you use to upload the pictures to?

I made a trip to the Home Depot today, and I picked up some gardening supplies.

I didn't understand all of the specifications that were being recommended to me, so here is what I got:

Ecosmart daylight compact fluorescent bulds (they are the corkscrew looking type)
- 100 watt
- 1750 lumens
- I wasn't sure what was meant by people who kept saying 6500k+, but these bulbs say 5000k on them. It's the highest number of bulb I could find.

Before I unwrap them, are these OK?

I also picked up an additional 150W clip-on light fixture, and another seed-starting pellet tray (yeah.. I got lots of seed and enthusiasm!!! :)

I also got a couple more types of seeds. Large Cherry hot peppers, since I didn't have those yet, and Burpee Kung Pao Hybrids. Anyone ever hear of those? They look similar to a cayenne or a chilata. I hope they have some piquance to them! :scared:

Hey,
The 6500k is the color temperature of the bulb (lamp). The higher the number the cooler the light is (blue). The lower the number 2100k the warmer the color temperature is (red). High color temp = dense foliage. Low color temp aids in flower production . Pepper seedlings need the higher color temp for plant growth production. The plants will flower on their own no matter on the color temp or the duration of the light cycle. Certain flowersw and other plants need an undisturbed dark period and a warm color temp lamp to produce a cluster of flowers. What you purchased is fine for getting the show on the road. If your starting the seeds soon you should be able to plant out by mid May.

I grow the Kung Pao's....I enjoy cooking and that a staple pepper along with some Thai Basil and Curry leaves. I'm also growing a "Cayennta" which was sent to me by a seed company to check out. I probably use those fresh in the green state, but let most ripen red to dry and grind into powder.
Good luck with your plants....Give them as much light (hrs) as you can once the seeds emerge and you'll do fine.

Greg

The gentlemen who helped me at Home Depot also showed me some special bulbs which are specifically designed for growing plants. He tried to explain to me that they block (or vice versa) some spectrum of light that is desirable for plants.. but he didn't totally understand what he was talking about, nor did I. I just knew people on here had recommended that CFL are perfectly adequate, and I didn't have a lot of cash to spend, so I just went with the CFLs. I hope that was the right choice.

So when you say the more light, the better.. is that absolute? I have no problem leaving the lights on 24/7.. in fact that would be easier logistically speaking.. but a friend with some botany background told me that plants need a certain amount of darkness so that they can "respire."

yeah, a lot of people on here.. or at least a good number of them will swear by 24/7 lighting, but I notice that the plants don't like that that much and tend to start to get a little purple and almost "worn out" kind of... I would say if you had some low power florescent tubes for them, then the first 2-3 weeks would be Ok. but even then.. it's not really necessary.. I notice that with 18 hours of light is great for the seedlings and they do a good amount of growing in the dark period.. so the rest does them some good...

as far as the lights go.. the 2 5000k CFL lights are fine, if you start another tray.. just make sure you get 2 6,500k lights (they are there. just need to look for them) and use one of each for each tray.. and I suggest taking off the reflector domes, i know they sell just the socket and wires and stuff (everything without the clamp and dome) but I couldn't find it last time, and I really didn't need it anyways, I was just looking around like usual for no good reason haha

and yeah the first time I went to Home Depot, the guy got my to buy the grow light bulbs, but they put out less lumens I think than normal bulbs.. and it's just a waste.. no need to spend the money on it.. the 6,500k (and 5,000k are fine too) do great, and the CFLs in a small grow box area are perfect.. so your all set.. I tend to just ask them what I am looking for, instead of trying to explain what I am trying to do, like growing plants.. because it usually side tracks them sometimes at the stores.. but anyways, you are on the right track.. just keep an eye on the temps, and I would say keep the bulbs about.... 4" above the plants for now, and then after like 2 sets of true leaves pop up, you can lower them a little bit to close to 2" or something like that.. but just keep an eye on them, if they start to curl or turn purple, then back them up a little bit.. the purple is fine.. but it just means there is more light than needed.. so backing it up will just help a little bit, just to keep it right at the point before turning purple at all

Back