• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics When should I put into pots (pics added)

Good advice from this man!^^^

You only need to have them grow true leaves if you're actually gona separate. Separating with only coty's can be risky. In your case just pot up, and be done.

,Vegas

Definetly on a budget, I have a bunch of small pots I can use We got a bunch last year for free. They are about the same size as a 20 oz cup

Good advice from this man!^^^

You only need to have them grow true leaves if you're actually gona separate. Separating with only coty's can be risky. In your case just pot up, and be done.

,Vegas

thanks, I think I will be doing that tonight after dinner.
if I can figure out how to post pics I will take some tongiht after they are done and then again once I get the lights on em

An added bit of info....Where I live, it gets crazy windy, and freaky hot, so I start 2-4 seeds togrther, let em all grow, and plant everything super close together.
That helps them support each other, and shade each other.

One seed is fine if you don't have crazy abnormal weather do deal with.
Also, if one fails to germinate after a long time, i'll dig the seed out with a toothpick, and plant another seed in there :)
Waste not want not :)

If you are on a budget like me, and space under the lights is at a premium, use 18-20 ounce plastic or styrofoam cups with holes poked in the bottom....you can get them at the dollar store too. They can live in those for a while before you have to use something bigger.

I use the cheapest available plastic cups from the grocery store---I think they're 8 ounces---and transplant into those when the second set of true leaves shows up. (Why the second set? I dunno. I think I read it on here somewhere and it worked well for me in the past.) The small size of the cups is convenient---you can pack a whole bunch of them into a tray to move them around (outdoors in the morning and in in the evening, if your climate is mild enough to support it), it's cheaper to use boughten soil in smaller increments, and so on.

Also, the cups I get are translucent, so I can see when the roots are starting to fill out and it's time to pot up, get some idea of how wet the soil is, and so on.

-NT

that is a good idea with the tanslucent cups.
Will have to take a look around the basement, might actually have some down there somewhere.

Yep, cheap is good!!

My lights were 1- found in shed, 1- neighbor gave me, 1- bought at wally world (bought 2 daylight bulbs)
Total investment $20 or so.
I have a germ tray heat mat, the one on the left, but the lights are toasty warm on top, so have 3 of the 72 cell trays on top :)

IMAG1488_zps268bed4f.jpg

I also run my plants, not seedlings, out to the back porch every morning, and back inside at night.

Got some pics
First and 2nd are what I started with in the basement
3rd is after planting the seedlings in pots and some minor decorating. this isnt permanent as I am getting lights this weekend
IMG_20130305_001329.jpg

IMG_20130305_001340.jpg

IMG_20130305_234733.jpg

As far a lighting, I leave the light on 24/7 right now. It isnt the warmest in the basement and the light does provide some heat along with the furnace duct blowing on them. Should I leave the light on 24/7 or turn it off for a few hrs each day?
What about once I get the grow lights this weekend? What works as far as a light cycle for seedlings and small plants?

Back