• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

when should i start next year?

I will try to overwinter some of the plant but i have new seeds on the way from pepperlover.com :-) I'm in Norway, when should i plant the seeds? This year i started in the beginning of march and moved them out to the greenhouse at the end of june since i didnt get it up before then.
I think i could get daytemp at 60-68F at the beginning of april in my greenhouse. I have some heating mat that i could use under the new plants. Could i start with the seeds at january and move them out in april/may? Is it the size of the plants or the temperature thats the most importent when moving them out to the greenhouse?

The sooner you plant them the bigger they will be when you plant out. I sow in Jan and my plant out isn't usually till mid may at least.

I sow the last week in january and start to move/hardening them in the last week of april through the first half of may
this year the weather sucks, so the ripening has begun very late.... still waiting for most of them to ripe

60-68F daytemp is fine for decently sized plants, they will grow slow with cold nights though.
This year  i had better luck with seeds started late directly in  the greenhouse than with seedlings moved out too early (and then stunted...).
You need to find a balance between early start and indoor space OR overwinter some plants (really worth for long season varieties IMHO).

Good luck

Datil

as long as your greenhouse isn't getting 0C/32f you can put them out there whenever you want. Most people that don't have a greenhouse start in january for may plant out.

I find the cost and effort to benefit ratio fairly low if I start more than two months before they can be left outside, with the important factor being how cold it gets at night (in the greenhouse).  If it's getting down below 40F at night then your plants will barely grow at all, essentially meaning there was very little benefit to starting that early in the season.

A heat mat under the plants won't help a lot outside in a larger area, in order to heat enough to keep the stems and leaves warm you'd be cooking the roots.

Hallo! 

I start in January, except some I have high hopes for, that starts in December. Remember to keep them cold. About 18 degrees whit enough light. The more the temperature rises, the more light you need. I put them out in may. I also have a frost guard that is set on 15C degrees to help with the cold weather if is. You can hook me up on Facebook under Arctic Chili. I have long experience growing chili in Norway. 

Reactions: pwb
Back