• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

When the foliage becomes soggy over night what is happening to the plant?

like what the title says...

my plants becomes soggy when night time comes and comes back up in the morning?
why this is happening?

heres some pictures

2012-04-24202942.jpg

2012-04-24202927.jpg

That is normal. They wake up with morning wood.My potted and inground plants both do that. I take it they get quite a bit of direct light? Don't get nervous and start Cal-magging them to death. My suggestion would be to get some bigger containers for them. Good luck with your season.

I noticed this as well with mine more of late(could be my imagination)..could be to do with overnight temperatures cooling down?

You're in Hawaii, so I'm assuming the temps are already pretty high. My experience has been this is a plant's response to the heat of the day: they droop (not wilt), and as long as they have recovered by the morning you're good. I imagine it has something to do with water being lost from the leaves at a rate higher than the plants are able to take in from the soil, so the plants are unable to stay erect. At least, that's what I would assume.

Anyway, point being, perfectly normal.

(If you feel the stems when they're droopy they should still be somewhat firm; unlike the limp stems and leaves you find on a wilting plant)

When the sun goes away the new growth has nothing to stretch for so it will wilt. Totally normal. They can be up and perky all day in the sun then as soon as the sun goes down so do the tops of the plants. No worries.

Back