• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping When to buy soil and amendments

I am here in NW Ohio.
This will be my first year starting from seed.

When is the best time to buy the potting soil, peat, etc, etc for germination and initial potting and for 5 gal pots?

Is it better to buy now, before Christmas or wait until after the New Year?

I have no idea if these products change in price during the year or if they are a staple all year long.

Best place to buy is at Home Depot/Lowe's or at local nursery or on line for some items?

I am planning on at least 50 - 75 pepper plants plus 10 - 20 tomato plants.
Most in ground, but 20% in pots.

Smart question.

The prices shouldn't fluctuate depending on the time of year; I'd be surprised if they did.

Best places to buy stuff is from the big guys. To give you an example, I've been touting acetamiprid and its fellow neonicotinoids for a while now as broad spectrum insecticides go. The Ortho stuff from Home Depot is roughly seventeen bucks a gallon, is already mixed (not a concentrate), and comes with a battery-powered spray wand. I picked up a small bottle of Actara from Atlantic Fertilizer a few days ago for just less than a hundred bucks. At first, blush, that seems like a lot of money. And okay, it is. But when you do the math, it breaks down to about a dollar a gallon, essentially seventeen times cheaper than Home Depot. Even after you factor in the twenty bucks for a pump sprayer, it's way cheaper over the long haul. The upshot: buy from the same people that the guys farming a hundred acres buy.

My suggestion, before you buy, is to research. There's a big difference between Canadian peat and Florida peat, before you ever start getting into stuff like coco coir.

If you were in a climate more like mine, I'd advise against growing in something as small as a five-gallon pot. I keep forgetting that, for you guys up north, peppers aren't an annual.

So tell us what varieties you're planning on growing! Oh, and as seeds go, I tossed maybe eight or ten different varieties in with the other stuff in your box, which will go out tomorrow (would have gone this morning, but USPS was closed due to it being a holiday).

Home depot recently had a pallet of the vigoro organic potting mix 1 dollar off the normal price. Not saying to get vigoro organic potting mix but my point is stuff will go on sale this time a year. If you can save a dollar a bag that adds up.

Mr. Hill said:
Don't use Peat!!!!   Coco coir is by far better but Rinse with a lot of clean Water before you use it. I will never use Peat again.  I like as much as 1/3 Coco coir. 
Mr. Hill where do you get your Coco? I find it a bit expensive.

I usually buy my Happy Frog or other such soil in the Fall, store it in the shed outdoors. In the Spring when I transplant, the soil is usually free from those bothersome gnats. I'm assuming the soil may get 'frozen' and if one of the ingredients is mycorrhizae, I'll have to take what I get. I just don't want those gnats ever again.

This year we mixed organic soil with coir and added some extra nutrients. And no gnats.

I hear nothing but good things about Pro-Mix, and the Ph additive is probably just lime
winland said:
Do you buy the 1# bricks of coco coir?

The Pro-Mix uses peat with pH additive
is this not a recommend soil?

Chuck

Grass Snake said:
Home depot recently had a pallet of the vigoro organic potting mix 1 dollar off the normal price. Not saying to get vigoro organic potting mix but my point is stuff will go on sale this time a year. If you can save a dollar a bag that adds up.

Mr. Hill where do you get your Coco? I find it a bit expensive.
Being in Cali, any of the Garden stores have it. It's about $10+ for a Big block that is 1/3 of a yard.   I mostly use about 50% good soil and 50% compost well if I don't add things like Coco.  I also make sure my soil has a good Number of Red worms.  I will never buy  miracle gro or any made soil again.  I have a Stock yard pretty close so can get all the Cow Poo I want to make compost, but there is lot of people you can get horse poo but can have lots of weeds if used to fresh.  

We now have russet mites in Cali from soil that been brought in people that bought pre mixed soil are paying for it big time.  

Mr. Hill said:
Being in Cali, any of the Garden stores have it. It's about $10+ for a Big block that is 1/3 of a yard.   I mostly use about 50% good soil and 50% compost well if I don't add things like Coco.  I also make sure my soil has a good Number of Red worms.  I will never buy  miracle gro or any made soil again.  I have a Stock yard pretty close so can get all the Cow Poo I want to make compost, but there is lot of people you can get horse poo but can have lots of weeds if used to fresh.  

We now have russet mites in Cali from soil that been brought in people that bought pre mixed soil are paying for it big time.  
I can only find coco in the hydro store and its like $13 for 2.5 cubic feet so for now I will just grow with it indoors. I wish our garden stores would get with the program but until then peat is fine for my outdoor grows. We have really fertile soil here where I live in North Texas and I can buy a blend 50% compost 50% good soil and sand for about 40 bucks a cubic yard. So Winland, check local dirt suppliers and see if you can buy in bulk it will save you a lot of money especially if you plan on growing up to one hundred plants.

There's so many problems with Peat, When in College my Teacher used it in all the Soils, but after I started using it in my plants for more then a few Months, I will not use it just creates more problems then it helps.  Coco does the same as Peat but doesn't have the problems with it. Yes it cost more, but if your wanting the best out of your plants it's worth it IMO.  Also as you can get a blend 50% compost 50% good soil and sand for about 40 bucks a cubic yard, add some red worms and what ever Nuts you use and you shouldn't have to add much if anything to it.  Also if you don't get problems in your soil, just add 50% compost every year and at three years you should have the best Soil you can get.  

Mr. Hill said:
Don't use Peat!!!!   Coco coir is by far better but Rinse with a lot of clean Water before you use it. I will never use Peat again.  I like as much as 1/3 Coco coir. 

Peat works fine.  If you notice a difference there was *some* other problem.  Coco isn't cost effective here so I've used peat for decades.  It's a regional thing how much it costs.

Soil often goes on sale in early to mid spring at hardware stores (keep an eye on Home Depot and Lowes weekend ads), but it depends on if you want standard (cheap) soil or a premium mix that's less likely to ever be discounted much.

As for places like Lowes, get something like the following ingredients:

1 bale peat moss (will last several seasons if you aren't growing in 250+ gallons of soil)
Scotts 0.75 cu ft top soil
Hapi-Gro 40lb peat humus
Infinity 40lb organic compost (w/manure in it)

Pearlite - crazy expensive at hardware stores, get a couple cubic feet from a garden supply store instead.

Put the tomatoes in the ground.  If indeterminate types they will unquestionably need more soil than the peppers.  If determinate types then consider your pot size.  5 gal. will stunt them but not much.  10 gal would be better.  Plus they have more weight up top towards the end of season so denser, more stable in-ground (soil) is better to secure a cage or stake for tomatoes.

The same goes for peppers but it depends on your fertilizer regiment if 5 gal only stunts them some or a lot, with more than 10 gal. being better if you are attentive to their needs.

20% in pots is only ~ 12 to 19 plants in pots.  You don't mention if you're trying to build a raised garden too and need soil for that, or only for those in pots.

Keep in mind that if the soil on your property manages to grow grass, trees, etc, then it's reasonable to put some of it in your plant mix but if it is high in clay, not a lot meaning best to limit it to 20% or less of the total mix.

For example you could use 15% ground *dirt*, 15% peat, 30% potting soil (any type not especially high in rocks or sand which some inexpensive brands are), 10% pearlite, 15% humus, and 15% compost.  If other forum members here manage to trick you into thinking regular ground dirt isn't allowed (lol) then in its place put in 5% more peat and 10% more compost.

Keep in mind that "compost" above can mean the bagged product I listed above or it could mean you gather up things like leaves and other lawn debris and compost them in a pile till spring.  Eventually the soil under your pile will also be suitable for using straight with little to nothing else added, but not by itself by next spring.

That is a description for a plan that includes amending the soil before reusing it again, and adding fertilizer if the plants get very large and deplete the 5 gallon buckets (which are undersized for a good season of growth in your area).  You'll need new sources of NPK, calcium and magnesium whether they be through compost, compost tea, synthetics, or other off-the-shelf (expensive) fertilizer products.

I used both this year, just to see for myself. Coco was the the winner by far for me. Plants did better in the Coco and the soil stayed aerated all season, unlike the peat that became compacted in about a month of use. Both mixes, ferts etc were identical, just one with peat and one with coco. I'm sold on the stuff. 

Grass Snake said:
Your just a peat hater Mr. Hill. :)
Nope Just will try to give the Best Advice when I can. just as SL3 said Peat Compacts at about a Month, also it can raise PH and water will not be retained. For Long use in a soil peat isn't a way to go IMO.  

you guys need to take the peat vs coco somewhere else lol, this thread is about when to buy amendments/soil to get the best deal.

Big box stores like lowes will usually put garden stuff on sale around october to get rid of it and some good deals can be found. They usually completely ignore gardening stuff / promotions from december - january at least at my local place. Even the nurseries only open 1 day a week.

Someone usually has some promotion in spring.

juanitos said:
you guys need to take the peat vs coco somewhere else lol, this thread is about when to buy amendments/soil to get the best deal.

Big box stores like lowes will usually put garden stuff on sale around october to get rid of it and some good deals can be found. They usually completely ignore gardening stuff / promotions from december - january at least at my local place. Even the nurseries only open 1 day a week.

Someone usually has some promotion in spring.
Thats something a peat lover would say. Its not that far off topic. To determine when to buy you gotta decide what your gonna buy.

Mr. Hill said:
Peat has a much higher CEC and is the preferred medium amongst the top growers I know. I will not use anything else except leaf mold which is the best but takes a long time to produce.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Peat has a much higher CEC and is the preferred medium amongst the top growers I know. I will not use anything else except leaf mold which is the best but takes a long time to produce.
So could I go to a heavily wooded area and take the tops layers of decomposed leaves? Would that be the same thing? I have noticed when randomly digging in the woods how light and fluffy the top layers were, almost like a sponge. I had the idea of using it as a medium but was concerned about pest. This is getting bit off topic now. Its now peat vs coco vs leaf mold :lol:  but hey maybe Winland didn't know all his options and he can now buy with confidence or use leaf mold if he knows where to get some.

Back