• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds When to put seedlings under lights?

I grew peppers last year but I forget when I put the seedlings under some lights. Mine are just emerging still folded in half with the leaves still near the dirt.

You can put them under lights anytime, but don´t burn the young seedlings.
What lights do you use?

I do as soon as there's green stuff up.

Here's my baby mystery asian chiles under a 30W CFL:

S6302534.JPG

You can throw them under lights before they come up, it makes no difference, but I find having a light source there waiting for them (and so they know which direction to start growing in) is also a plus. If you have ever had a plant near a window and it will stretch towards the window, you know what I mean.

I usually put the seedlings in a window seal once they toally straighten out and pop their first leaves. Then when the second set pops out and gets any size on them outside they go.

worlok said:
Hey, you're growing a few in the same pot. :lol:

LoL, ya. :)

That was kinda just an experiment where I chucked some seeds in a cup and let 'er rip, didn't figure they'd all come up. Go figure, eh?

Ended up with like 9 of the lil monsters. But, after I culled the weaker ones, I got those. When they get first true leaves going I'll re-pot to individual cups.

Normaly I would use a heating mat to germinate but since I was using CFL's anyway I germinated them under lights. With much faster germinating.

Back